I got no boost!!

I just tried bypassing the solinoid on the valve cover and it didnt do much. The car is pushing about 5lbs of boost. I am going to check all the bolt on the turbo and reconnect the exhaust elbow too.........make a new seal......leaking a little bit. I just ordered a up pipe from ATR so that will be taken care of. I put the fuel pressure up to 40 line off and the damn thing started stumbling again. SO now she is at about 37 to 38 with line off. And is running good through the gears with the 5lbs of boost. I think the up pipe is killing my boost!! You guys are right about the turbo noise...........even with no boost it is whistling!! I like it. I think I take care of the up pipe and I should be on my way. Later Nick

Quick question, but have you ever considered trying to use an 86/7 Actuator? It might be possible that your wastegate might have started leaking. Or what you could also do it see if the turbo will boost more then 5 psi by removing the lines from the wastegate. Be VERY carefull when doing that tho, cause that gives you infinate boost. Just give it some throttle to see if you get more then 5 psi boost. If you do, then the problem lies with the actuator itself, or a major leak on the exhust side. Just a suggestion.

What are the differences in the 86/87 from ours? I just ordered a 2.5 up pipe from ATR and their prices went up. My budget has reached its point with the car this year. I am actually dipping into next years budget.:( Later Nick

The 86/87 has a different bracket of course, and it has
1 vacuum line, where as the 84/85 uses 2 vacuum lines.
I don't know about the rod length, but I am using
and 86/87 and it has plenty of adjustment,
and I can pull 16 # boost without adjusting any.

Wait for the new up-pipe to arrive. If yours is leaking it will cause all the issues you have. Lack of boost, aswell as having to keep your FP down to compensate for a rich condition (due to the uppipe leak).

as for the low boost...have you checked to make sure the puck seals okay? And that the puck shaft isn't loose on the lever?

As for only 2000rpm on a brakestand...mine would only do 1600! Reason: when the tranny was rebuilt, they put something OTHER than a D5 convertor back in...

Up pipe should be here tommorrow or friday...........I will check the puck out too as I need to seal the exhaust elbow again.......a very small leak it has in it. I am thinking my lack of boost is mostly from the up pipe, as you all said. Thanks much, Nick

Just got the ATR up pipe on. Has a leak were it joins the header. So I need to fix that...........damn thing got hot real quick..........so it is cooling off right now...............but I did try this:

Ok I did the no hoses to the wastegate rod actuator.............and well...........I just got a taste of what is to come............HOLY SHOT'N BY MUSTANGS............I put the trottle down about a little over 1/4 trottle and the damn car pulled instantly at about 10lbs. of boost...............for about a block and then I put it down again.......couldnt resist.................and BOOM............or more of a metal hitting metal sound too. Well my weak a$$ 2in hose that I am using to connect the turbo to the intercooler piping........poped off:D Why the big grin..................well I was swearing the whole way home(a whole block:)) because I thought I blew a head gasket or something. I was very happy to see it was just a hose popped off..........must have hit the hood nice and hard!!:)
The car pulled stronger then I can ever remember and that was at 10lbs. of boost............oh ya I had no knock through out the whole little experience around the block.....

So what does this tell me? Is it the actuator or could it still be something else.................Man I spent like 2 hours on cutting the bracket for the actuator.....not to meant shorting the rod.....lol....:mad: Now I may have to do it again.............how can the damn thing just go bad on me???:confused:

Thanks guys.......... Nick

boost problem

sounds like you got it together now post new pics of how it looks for everyone with all your mods sounds like it looks pretty? good luck!;) :D :cool:

I just got a 86/87 heavy duty adjustable actuator off of ebay......so that should be here this week sometime....shipped out today. So, that should cure my problem, I hope!! I will take some pictures this weekend and hopefully have them up by next weekend.....:cool:

Later........Nick

Anybody got a good place on the web......................to get 2in FLEXIABLE hosing to use to connect the turbo to the intercooler piping......................cant find a local shop with anything........except the radiator hosing, but I want something nicer then that. Thanks Nick

gn value

seeing that your car is intercooled will it sell for more or less if sold I see hot airs selling for 2500.00 I paid around 4100.oo for mines with 131,00miles on it the reason they probaly sell for less is because they have no IC?but now you have one

I think people would look up the value on kelly blue book and probably go with that or try to find how much another like that is going for. Some people may not know the difference between the cars. Personally I like the hot air cars, you dont see to many of them around(except for the one that is within 6 blocks of me...stock 85 GN....LOL)You could tell them you got $XXXX.XX amount of money into the car and they will tell you big deal, it is still not a 86/87. But, who knows. You pay for what you want..............which to me means.....if you like the car enough and want it, you will pay the money to get it within reason. I plan on keeping my car forever, so I am not worried about how much I spend on it...It is my hobby and it is what I enjoy........except when it gives me a headache.....then I walk away calmly....LOL......:D

86/87's..................engine block is different.......better oiling.......serpentine belt system......INTERCOOLER.....better turbo......heavier rims:D.............tranny is a little beefier......more well known..........those are the big reasons I think they are worth more..............and obviously more HP/TORQUE(intercooler, bigger turbo).......easier to mod??

What do you have done to your car...any mods when you got it....intercooled?

Nick

Ok 86/87 actuator didnt do the trick..........but it does fit a lot easier under the hood.

My TPS is .49V with key on.........a little high yet.

So I went for a run around the block a few times...........and all I get is 5lbs. of boost thru all the gears..........but if I take the hose of the actuator I get 10lbs. at 1/4 throttle............WTF could be going on??

New up pipe is on and leak free. Downpipe is leak free. I am thinking it is a leak I cant hear and then when boost kicks in then it is leaking massively.......I know someone suggested this before.

Guys got any good tips to find it somehow...........have my friend sit under the hood.......while I drive;)

She does pull hard through the gears at 5lbs of boost....actually pretty strong at 5lbs.

Oh ya the turbo sneeze, I finally heard it today.....funny stuff......people were looking at me weird everytime I let of the throttle...:D.........and the turbo whistle is awesome with the trottle body behind the turbo now.....:D....unreal.

TIA Nick

Ok I found that one of my lines that gets boost.......came disconnect somehow................so now the car is pulling 10# of boost...............runs through the gears...........the tranny wont shift into OD though? TV cable out of adjustment!!!!

So I am looking for leaks...........................is there anyway to find a leak that maybe happening under boost??????.........I have no leaks at idle or when revving the motor...............so it must be under boost....................or could it be anything else besides a leak????????????????????????????

For the life of me, I cant think of a way to check to see if I am leaking somewhere while under boost...........what would work.......up on jack stands.........?????

Thanks Nick