I.A.C. question

Busyman

[BAD HBT 6]
Hello there, Im not a mechanic so please bear with me. Im chasing a sputter during acceleration on an 87 GN. I working down the punch list of things to check and clean. I removed the IAC and it had some oil residue on the plunger end. Once removed, I also reached into the throttle body and wiped that oily residue. This is my friends car and he does NOT have a scan master yet. I know, I know, I have told him......

1. Is that normal to have oil up in this area?
2. How do I re install iac. do I screw the plunger all the way back to down position?
3. Can I test the IAC itself with a volt meter?

Thanks in advance,

Busyman

The oil is normal. It comes from the PCV system and maybe the turbo. It really doesn't hurt anything. To install the IAC motor just screw it back in. It will reset itself when you turn the key on. If you pulled the IAC plunger out when you were cleaning it just push it back in before installing it. You really can't check the IAC with a meter other than measuring the winding resistance. If the car idles at the correct rpm the IAC is most likely ok. . .You are going to need a scan tool to check the IAC counts. A lot of things can cause a "sputter" on acceleration. Without a scan tool you are shooting in the dark.

Thanks mikestertwo, appreciate it! I will reinstall today and run it around the block.The car does idle fine so I will check this off the list. I also agree about the scan tool. I have one on my car and know that value of them.