Hydroboost to replace Powermaster

needforspeed150

To many cars and motorcycles
Yes I know this has been covered some but want the current thoughts anyway. My 87 GN is getting a changeout and only want to do it once and not regret what I ended up with. I have had it with the Powermaster. I have put up with this thing to long. I know some are happy with vacuum and others are using hydroboost. If price is not the issue what seems to be the best. I am leaning towards hydroboost at this point from classic performance. They have one that is a direct bolt on for G body.
Thanks for the help

hydroboost is a good system but harder to find expensive to rebuild. Vac brakes are everywhere and work well. For normal driving I think the 87 power steering pump would be ok with hyrdoboosy but on a road course or autocross course I think it would be overwhelmed. I used to autocross my 84 with hydroboost and it would spit fluid out of the power steering pump sometimes and that was with the bigger 84 power steering pump. I have vac brakes now and did the LS1 swap and love it. It works very well. Even before the LS1 brake swap I was happy with the vac brakes, but the bigger rotors and calipers are awesome.

? LS1 swap

Good info on the hydroboost. Thats just what I wanted, information from people that have used the system. Now whats up with the LS1 swap. I must be out of the loop on that.

i converted my 85 to 87LC2, did the LS1 brakes front and rear and kept the hydroboost. never had any problems (been 2yrs sice i converted to LS1). i was going to go with the vaccum setup with the LS1's but when i had my trans done Len from Preformce Trans in Vegas said there were the best brakes he's felt besides Baer so i left the stock hydroboost on. hth

Good info on the hydroboost. Thats just what I wanted, information from people that have used the system. Now whats up with the LS1 swap. I must be out of the loop on that.

Do a search for LS1 Brakes, but basically you cut the caliper mounts off the stock spindles, bolt on a bracket, turn your stock rotor down to basically a hub, slide on a set of LS1 11" rotos and bolt on LS1 dual piston calipers. It makes a huge difference.

Holding @ the Line

I went vacuum years ago and it works fine, but I can't get it to hold anymore than 3-5 Psi @ the line. Even tho' I've done the larger wheel cyls in the back and the soft double secondary lining trick.

So, since I will be going the complete front end do-over w 13" Baers, I think I'll just do 12" Baer discs on the rear. I would think that would hold boost.