Hydroboost install issue(s)

incubus2432

Douchebag
During the last few weeks in my limited time I've been working on installing my hydroboost setup and Baer brakes. I've encountered problem after problem along the way leading up to today......

Everything is in, buttoned up, filled with fluid and bled. Then I start the car......DRATS!!!!! The power steering pump is making some noise (no biggie) but the power steering feels like it's manual and the pump gets progressively louder (not good). If I turn the wheel either way fluid gets "pushed" out of the reservoir. I double checked the hose routing and all is as it should be......

....power steering pump output to hydroboost (passenger side port)
....hydroboost (driver's side port) to steering gear input
....steering gear return to inline filter to reservoir
....hydroboost return to separate reservoir input
....reservoir output (suction line) to input of pump

I had to step away because my frustration is getting in the way of clear thinking. So I've thought of a few possible issues.....

....the inline filter in the return line may be acting as a restriction (the fluid getting "pushed" from the reservoir upon turning the wheel makes me think the return line/filter is unrestricted enough but it won't hurt to check I guess)
....I left the lines long in case of issues so I could move things around a bit if need be. Possibly the length of the suction hose and the routing is not letting fluid flow freely into the pump

I can remove the filter to see if that helps and I can reposition/shorten the suction line for more direct flow. Any other thoughts as to what I should look for? Do any of my symptoms ring a bell and hint at a direction I should look in to get this thing right? Any other "tests" to narrow things down?

I'd imagine the solution is easy and all will be fine but this conversion is killin' me. :mad: :eek: :D

are you using the stock pump?
i'm pretty sure there are two types of the late model PS pumps- regular rotation and reverse rotation.
maybe you are trying to run the pump backwards if it isn't correct for the application?

Well it's solved (I believe). I talked to Bob (POWERBRAKEBOB) and he said about all it could be was a stuck valve in the pump. So i pulled the pump and checked the valve per Bob's instructions and it was stuck so I pulled it apart, cleaned it again and reassembled/installed the pump. The steering now works and so do the brakes but the pump is still quite loud. Probably just some air in the lines so I'll see if it quiets up with some use.....if not I'll just check into getting a heavy duty pump.

To get to the valve I mentioned above.....

....remove the pressure line from the pump
....with a thin rod (I used a long allen key) you should be able to put it in the small hole where the line hooked up and when depressing feel a piston move up and down (spring loaded). Mine was stuck.
.....remove the "nut" that the pressure line fitting screws into and the valve/spring will come out pretty easy.
....just clean it up and lube with some power steering fluid (I used Dextron III) and reassemble.

Sorry for the poor explanation but I hope it's enough to get you going.

Just an update......

I had a few small leaks in the brake lines to snug up before I felt the car was safe enough to drive but once that was done I finally took it for a spin. The brakes and steering both work fine. The pump is quiet when the RPMs are up a little but whines at idle. I'll have to drive it for a few days and see if it quiets down any.....there may still be some air in the lines. If it is still loud at idle when using the steering/brakes I'll look into getting a sturdier pump. I'm not in a big rush though.....I have house projects to get too and at least I can enjoy the car again. I can live with the whine for a while if I have to.

incubus, thanks for the heads up on that stuck valve. I took mine apart today and sure enough it was stuck. Got everything back together and the steering feels smooth, brake pressure is better, and the p/s pump whine is minimal. (I flushed out the dexron 3 I was using and replaced it with mobil 1 full synt tranny fluid). Also got my line lock working - had the ports crossed. Only thing now is Im still not able to hold any boost. Rear shoes are greasy - looks like new rear axle seals and new shoes/pads all the way around. Just one thing after another :rolleyes: Oh yeah and my brake light switch needs to be adjusted I think, I have to pull up on the pedal to turn off the brake lights.

Good to hear that it worked out for ya'!

I'm still having whine problems but added some Lucas power steering additive and it took care of 80% of that issue. I'll end up getting a new pump eventually but it is certainly livable now.

Has anybody had trouble attaching the brake rod assembly to the brake pedal? The hole diameter in the end of the rod assembly was just too small to slip over the cylinder on the brake pedal. Took me quite some time to figure this out, but after drilling it out just a bit it fits fine now.

I am also wondering if all the recent hydroboost purchases came with a 4 bolt plate to attach to the firewall. I was expecting a 2 bolt flange, but after talking with Bob they replaced the 2 bolt flange version with a 4 bolt plate. The only way I could get this to work was to install the powerbrake assebly seemingly upside down, with the accumulater facing the drivers side in the engine bay instead of towards the engine. I may have trouble attaching the hose fittings, but until I get all the parts delivered I am just assuming.

Yes, getting the rod onto the brake pedal was a pita. I finally figured that I didnt have a good angle so I took the booster off of the studs and zip tied the booster towards the drivers fender. This provided a better angle and I finally managed to get it to slip on. I was about 2 minutes away from reaching for the drill like you did.

Not really sure what to do about the backing plate, I figure it will be harder to route the lines to the underneath side but hope you can make it work.

I would highly recommend cleaning/lubing the valve in the p/s pump. Incubus and I both had the same problem, it was stuck and after the install we both had power steering and brake issues. It is a pretty easy task to do - just follow his directions above as a precaution. I think the nut on the pump was a 7/8 - I used a socket and extension/swivel, then used a telescoping magnet to fish the valve out. Good luck!

It was a total PITA to get the rod attached to the pedal. I didn't drill.....i removed the brake pedal so i could get the right angle and it slipped right on. It was still a pain doing it that way but if I had just done it from the the start it would have saved me some aggravation.

As a side note......issues with my PS pump have worsened. I believe that due to the valve sticking when I initially fired it up I put a hurting on my pump so i'm waiting for a replacement to arrive. The brakes still work great and I'm now glad that I did the swap.....even with the install issues.

I got my rebuilt AC Delco pump and swapped it in. Night and day difference. No more whining and brakes/steering function as they should. With rear discs I can hold about 11 lbs. of boost before the tires break loose. The hydroboost/Baer setup finally performs as I expected....great feel and stops in a heartbeat. Very confidence inspiring.

I'm just glad the install and issues are finally over. Certainly a PITA to get it all working properly but now that it's done I feel it is certainly worth the whatever troubles I had.

Guys, GM doesn't recomend tranny fluid for the power steering. Switch to actual PS fluid. It's viscosity is better for protecting the pump and the gears.

Is there a heavy duty or high perf upgrade PS pump that maybe should be done at the same time as the hydroboost conversion?

Sorry, I didn't notice that my above post came out like that. I got it from www. nos4gn .com (leave out the spaces). It was $139.

I feel lucky , did'nt run into these problems , but i'm considering installing a tranny cooler inline for some extra performance.

Attachments

• Hydroboost (1).JPG
    Hydroboost (1).JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 324
  • Hydroboost (3).JPG
    Hydroboost (3).JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 318