Hydro boost vs power boost vs Vac Brakes

Murdock

Im looking to do a brake conversion and have been wondering which to go with or if I should keep what I have. I have the power boost in my 86 GN and a Vac set up in my garage ready to install. But like what I hear about hydro boost. So what do you guys like, and the reason for it. My purpose is for reliability, stopping power and lastly building boost at launch.

You will find people that will say.... go vacuum.... and there is nothing wrong with vacuum....it works well....as designed....and is real reliable. IMHO....however....the hydro-boost system provides far more breaking pressure (actual psi in the brake lines) than any vacuum setup....and even marginally more pressure over the failure-prone.... doesn't give a warning... powermaster.....

To the best of my knowledge, the powermaster was only available a couple years.... while the hydro-boost systems are still being built today on many makes/models of vehicles...... enuff said...

Go hydroboost.... you won't find a brake system any more capable of holding a car at the line.... w/o a tranny brake....

If your Powermaster is functionally properly than leave it alone and make sure to read up on the basic and not so basic maintenance procedures to keep it alive for as long as you can.

But if it's dying or is giving signs of passing on then rebuilding it or going the Autozone route IMO is a crap shoot and will probably lead to you just swapping it out for Vac or Hydro later on.

If $$ not a concern I do agree that the line pressure of the Hydro is very appealing especially if you don't want to deal with a transbrake and like big brake kits that excel under better line pressures.

I went vacuum, mainly because it was new for like $1XX some bucks and I have one freebie stop if the car stalls etc at regular pedal feel. I had one instance on my Powermaster that gave me a brick pedal for a few seconds and knew that if it ever died I'd probably be DOA, I believe Hydroboost has the same weak point on an engine stall etc.

I swapped to vac and love 'em... wouldn't change back to powermonster (or hydroboost) if they were free. All new components, less than $150, bulletproof reliability, brakes like every other normal GM vehicle. Turbo T/A has vac brakes... good enough for me. :smile:

HYDROOBOOST!!! I saw a kit on hear that im sure i could didnt afford, found a way to make it fit off a donor car, works like a champ. Think ill sell the setup from my house $600 installed, and $450 shipped! These brakes are amazing, i can build 15psi boost(on dirt!) if i wanted!

If your Powermaster is functionally properly than leave it alone and make sure to read up on the basic and not so basic maintenance procedures to keep it alive for as long as you can.

But if it's dying or is giving signs of passing on then rebuilding it or going the Autozone route IMO is a crap shoot and will probably lead to you just swapping it out for Vac or Hydro later on.

If $$ not a concern I do agree that the line pressure of the Hydro is very appealing especially if you don't want to deal with a transbrake and like big brake kits that excel under better line pressures.

I went vacuum, mainly because it was new for like $1XX some bucks and I have one freebie stop if the car stalls etc at regular pedal feel. I had one instance on my Powermaster that gave me a brick pedal for a few seconds and knew that if it ever died I'd probably be DOA, I believe Hydroboost has the same weak point on an engine stall etc.

While it is true.... you only have an accumulator to "store" pressure for a brake hit or two while the engine isn't running........ it is my understanding.... that even after all the pressure is relieved from the accumulator.... like if the motor was dead..... you still have the equivalent of manual brakes......

On the PM... I think you just have a rock hard pedal.... and maybe 10% if any braking effect when you push the brakes until your face looks like :mad: ....

My car came with hydroboost from the factory and I love it. The car has the same stock rotors and calipers as the 85-87 but I can lock the sticky 245s on the front with no problem at any speed.

Vacuum works fine everywhere but on the starting line at the drag strip. It will not hold your car on the line if you have boosted the HP. Hydroboost all the way!
Conrad

87 gn powerbrake replacement

i just bought a new powermaster for my gn ($1000) my current sistem is dead i could have gone for the vac set up but i rather keep my car original anyway im in the process of changing the unit and i'd like to get some instruccions of the steps to take to removing the old unit and installing the new one specially what to do when the new one gets installed please help me i dont wanna screw it up
all your help will be greatly apreciated from all of you enthusiasts:redface:

While it is true.... you only have an accumulator to "store" pressure for a brake hit or two while the engine isn't running........ it is my understanding.... that even after all the pressure is relieved from the accumulator.... like if the motor was dead..... you still have the equivalent of manual brakes

If your engine stalls or dies all you need is one brake hit to stop. If the PM fails or say a fuse opens while your driving you won't know it until the brake pedal is hard and then it's too late.

If your engine stalls or dies all you need is one brake hit to stop. If the PM fails or say a fuse opens while your driving you won't know it until the brake pedal is hard and then it's too late.

:confused:

I am saying the same thing too..... the PM can fail w/o warning leaving a rock hard pedal..... while the HB (as I understand it) at least gives you the equivalent of manual brakes for stopping... in the event that the HB system quites working.

The aftermarket Hydroboost set up I purchased comes equipped with an accumulator, which is said to give power assist stopping for a short period of time should you loose pressure in the system. I like the HB, just be cautious from who you purchase the unit from.

If I had the $$$ it would be Hydroboost all the way on both my GN's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got it on my Ford Excursion and love it. Takes GOOD brakes to haul down an 8,000# monster in a hurry, and I've had to do that more than once.

Im looking to do a brake conversion and have been wondering which to go with or if I should keep what I have. I have the power boost in my 86 GN and a Vac set up in my garage ready to install. But like what I hear about hydro boost. So what do you guys like, and the reason for it. My purpose is for reliability, stopping power and lastly building boost at launch.
hydro boost is the best way to go less problems i have an 86 t with the original pm big difference from the hydro boost... that pm on my 86 t is coming out

does anyone know where or what hydroboost applications can be easily adapted to a tr any stories or pics of installs? Vehicles part#s etc?

The 84 and 85 GN/T-Types all had HB that will bolt on to 86-87's. Just use your existing power steering pump and the HB/master cylinder unit and HB brake pedal.
Conrad

ps...84-85 powersteering pump uses the old v-belt drive so you don't want that.

Hydroboost died in my Chevy Silverado ...

Hello,

The hydroboost in my 2000 ChevySilverado 2500 died at 46,000 miles due to broken pump shaft a few years ago. I was lucky to have been going slow on a side street, as on the truck it powers both brakes and steering, and lost both. Very dangerous set-up IMO. I had roughly 10 percent stopping power after that, if that. I left work early and drove slowly on the highway, and kept 1/8th mile between me and cars in front, and was planning on driving in to the guard rail to stop if the need came. I had no ability to panic stop and was really squeezing it on that ride home. Vacuum brakes at least stop, albeit with a harder pedal if it goes.
For the T-Type, I contacted RedRegalT, and bought his vacuum conversion. Haven't installed it yet, but not going to trust PM or hydro down the road, especially when car is getting faster. HTH.

Hydra boost work....
BUT
When/if you loose the belt you will loose steering and the brakes at the same time- Not fun at all. It happened to me in my Astro lucky for me that I leave a lot of space from the car in front of me if not it would have been real ugly.