HVAC Fan stays on high

DeltaBravo

Retired U.S. Army/Navy
Hey all...

I don't understand this issue, please help explain how my HVAC fan will stay on high after turning it off. The fan speed will not change no matter what setting the controls are in.

AND get this...it stay on after turning the car completely OFF and pulling the keys out of the ignition...WTF? So, I've had to resort to popping to hood open and pulling the ground off the fan to turn it off.

I'm beginning to believe this car is possessed.

Thanks in advance.

Pulled it out, opened it up and found the contacts were stuck. Separated the contacts, lightly sanded and cleaned them up, put it all back together and it’s all works.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulled it out, opened it up and found the contacts were stuck. Separated the contacts, lightly sanded and cleaned them up, put it all back together and it’s all works.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My HVAC fan works on all settings but sometimes it wont work on the max setting, do you think that this procedure may work to fix that? My wife keeps jacking around with it when I say, well. the setting just below max is better than nothing so leave it alone.!! Nope! she has to mess with it untill it eventually starts working on max again... BTW.. She is not on these forums so I am safe until she accidentally finds them... and discovers my PW..

https://turbobuick.com/threads/blower-motor-info.190689/#post-1340570

My HVAC fan works on all settings but sometimes it wont work on the max setting, do you think that this procedure may work to fix that? My wife keeps jacking around with it when I say, well. the setting just below max is better than nothing so leave it alone.!! Nope! she has to mess with it untill it eventually starts working on max again... BTW.. She is not on these forums so I am safe until she accidentally finds them... and discovers my PW..

You don't have nothing to lose, go ahead and check your plug in points on fan relay. But what your problem sounds like to me is the HVAC blower relay.

You don't have nothing to lose, go ahead and check your plug in points on fan relay. But what your problem sounds like to me is the HVAC blower relay.
Thanks. I thought it sounded like a relay as well it seems like there is a high and a low/lower relay associated with it??? is that correct?? .

Thanks. I thought it sounded like a relay as well it seems like there is a high and a low/lower relay associated with it??? is that correct?? .

The blower relay, controls high and low , silver relay located on top HVAC heater core housing on P/S in engine compartment .

Mine wasn't working on high and it was the connector. It would read 12v at the relay but when a load was applied nothing would happen due to the voltage drop across the corroded connector. Cleaned it up and it's been fine.

By the same token the fan will stay on high if the relay is stuck since it's fed by a fuseable link which is always hot.

I think you both just described what i was looking at in that connector/relay..!! Thanks Steve V and CaptDave737! The stuff like this is why we all still own and drive these cars,,,, even now. Our cars are still a comfort and a thrill to cruse or boost because of everyone keeping the info and dream alive..