How would you spend $4000?

$4000 won't get you much if you're going into the engine and plan on buying a good set of heads. Good pistons/rings, machine work, fasteners, heads, gaskets and $4000 is gone in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True. Align bore for Billet caps, bore hone, resizing of rods, pressing new pistons on rods, and balancing rotating assb cost me around $800, ported heads and roller rockers were $900, roller cam/lifters $800,used pistons/new rings $200. Plus ARP rod bolts/main studs,gaskets,bearings. Right at $3k in long block with me doing the assembly. And I got deals on the heads,rockers and pistons. Summit has Speedpro forged pistons $345. If low 11s are the lowest the Speedpros will be ok as will the stock rods/crank. Have them checked and balance rotating assb. But you need to know what the short block needs first...

True. Align bore for Billet caps, bore hone, resizing of rods, pressing new pistons on rods, and balancing rotating assb cost me around $800, ported heads and roller rockers were $900, roller cam/lifters $800,used pistons/new rings $200. Plus ARP rod bolts/main studs,gaskets,bearings. Right at $3k in long block with me doing the assembly. And I got deals on the heads,rockers and pistons. Summit has Speedpro forged pistons $345. If low 11s are the lowest the Speedpros will be ok as will the stock rods/crank. Have them checked and balance rotating assb. But you need to know what the short block needs first...
Which part number for the speed pro pistons for .040? L2481f40 are the ones I found but they were $330. Same ones you mentioned?

Has the block been checked by your machinist? Make sure before you buy and bore block and you don't have too.

Not yet. I'm still waiting on him. I'm just collecting the info just in case.
Just by looking at it when I dropped it off, he said it would be better to go another .010 than just honing. He did say he would check to be sure though and get back with me before anything was done.

Usually a good stock shortblock that hasn't been detonated will provide all you mentioned above. Realistic price for a professionally done set of heads with new valves for a roller cam is closer to $1500. rocker arms about $700. Roller cam and lifters with good parts. Am $299, lifters $425, cam thrust $55, timing set $140, pushrods $100, springs $150. Far from $800z If it were me and trying to save $ it would be a stock shortblock, good heads, roller cam, I'd have some chrome moly rocker shafts made and case hardened them centerless ground, and good converter. The average person isn't getting parts anywhere near the prices you listed. Balancing these is more work than a non split crank pin with extra labor involved for the bob weights. If the pistons are heavier than stock you will need to add weight and it's even more $. $4000 you're better off on a stock long block and build a solid low 11 car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk