How would you spend $4000?

gstewart

I only have $4000 to spend. How would you go about spending the money? A lot of parts will have to be replaced or rebuilt. Here's what the car has:
(1).030 block that's gonna need either a hone or another .010 added. Pistons are hypers. Stock crank and rods. Arp head bolts, arp rod bolts and arp main studs.
(2) Stock heads with only upgraded springs. I'm gonna get them either rebuilt or buy ported heads.
(3) Stock intake and tb
(4) dls roller cam conversion kit. Cam is questionable so it may have to get replaced.
(5) I'm buying the TA timing cover
(6) Ta-49 that needs rebuild kit.
(7) 42lb injectors just flowed and clean so they are good to go.
(8) translator
(9) bigger front mount intercooler mounted behind the grille.
(10) tt chip for 23-25psi
(11) scanmaster
(12) old smc alky kit
(13) 3" terry dp and 3" exhaust
(14) built 200r4 non lockup with ptc 3000 stall.

I only have $4000 to spend. How would you go about spending the money? A lot of parts will have to be replaced or rebuilt. Here's what the car has:
(1).030 block that's gonna need either a hone or another .010 added. Pistons are hypers. Stock crank and rods. Arp head bolts, arp rod bolts and arp main studs.
(2) Stock heads with only upgraded springs. I'm gonna get them either rebuilt or buy ported heads.
(3) Stock intake and tb
(4) dls roller cam conversion kit. Cam is questionable so it may have to get replaced.
(5) I'm buying the TA timing cover
(6) Ta-49 that needs rebuild kit.
(7) 42lb injectors just flowed and clean so they are good to go.
(8) translator
(9) bigger front mount intercooler mounted behind the grille.
(10) tt chip for 23-25psi
(11) scanmaster
(12) old smc alky kit
(13) 3" terry dp and 3" exhaust
(14) built 200r4 non lockup with ptc 3000 stall.
1-What are your ET goals?
2-IMHO, forged pistons, resize stock rods, balance rotating assb, center billet caps, ported heads,forged crank(back to ET goal)
3-Why do you question the cam?
4-TA-49/back to ET goal
5-Injectors/see ET goal
6-New chip if changing combo
7-10" or 9.5" PTC converter?

1-What are your ET goals?
2-IMHO, forged pistons, resize stock rods, balance rotating assb, center billet caps, ported heads,forged crank(back to ET goal)
3-Why do you question the cam?
4-TA-49/back to ET goal
5-Injectors/see ET goal
6-New chip if changing combo
7-10" or 9.5" PTC converter?
Low 11's possible? Cam journals have some scratches but I don't know if they can be polished or just buy a new one. I'll have to go measure the converter.

Good fuel pump and supporting fuel delivery items, IE filter, hoses, injectors, regulator and vacuum lines all need to be in top shape.

Block at .030 and possibly needing to go .040 is not ideal but for the sake of the budget I'd get a set of forged pistons, stock crank polished or turned if needed, have a machine shop prep block (cleaning, cam bearings, freeze plugs, boring/honing, etc.) you don't want cam bearing alignment issues if your already having problems. Have your machinist confirm that your cam is bad, could be money saved there too. The t/a cover cover, good timing set and a new water pump would be good money spent as well. Going to assemble it yourself I'm assuming.

If your heads are in good shape have the throats opened up (don't get carried away read up before you start) guides if needed, three angle valve job and probably pac springs, retainers and locks would be a good investment.

Would buy a new turbo and skip all of the possible problems associated with something you do not know the history of.

$4,000 would clear the last of the debt left over from my divorce. Can I have it?

In all seriousness, if the block is already .030 over, measure all the cylinders top, middle, and bottom and hope you can get away with a hone. When I rebuilt mine in 2014, the only off-the-shelf pistons left were standard and .030 over, so if you have to go another .010, you're into custom pistons which will make a huge dent in your budget.

With a TA49 in the mix (assuming the rebuild works), sell the alky kit, buy a fuel pump and injectors, trade in the TT chip for a new one, and go E85.

I had my heads professionally ported and polished by a guy that knew what he was doing, and it was $800. Porting iron is a pain in the butt. By the time the machine shop was done with the valve job I had $1100 in the heads. A set of ported Champion Irons is $1381 from Cotton's. Bolt-and-go with a superior head design for just $281 more is a good value. If I had to do it again, that's what I'd do.

If the cam bearings are showing damage, replace them. The bearings are cheap and it doesn't cost much at the machine shop to change them. You can recoup some money by selling the roller cam and lifters and going back to a quality flat tappet. You don't need roller to get to 11s.

And I'll ditto the comments from ITSAV6. Especially the converter and balancing the assembly.

If low 11s is your goal the 49 will get you there. My best is 11.25@20 psi on 255 drag radials. Wish E85 was closer than 1.5 hours to me.

Build the bottom end well, TRW pistons if you can stay with .030. Go with a 206 roller. Do a little home porting on the heads. Come back to a better set later when you have more to spend. Do the fuel system to support 10s so that will be done. New Alky Control Kit. See Bison about a good turbo, maybe a 6262 or smaller depending on your converter. With all the little stuff that should kill that 4k.

Build the bottom end well, TRW pistons if you can stay with .030. Go with a 206 roller. Do a little home porting on the heads. Come back to a better set later when you have more to spend. Do the fuel system to support 10s so that will be done. New Alky Control Kit. See Bison about a good turbo, maybe a 6262 or smaller depending on your converter. With all the little stuff that should kill that 4k.
I'm not sure I can port heads myself.

You might find a set of used ported heads in the for sale section and have them checked.

I would go for a nice crank,rods,pistons, center caps ,studs, ported heads and there goes your 4K in less then a sentence lol .parts 25-2600 , machine work 13-1400.

I can port you a set and have them setup for whatever cam u have for right around a G . I can flow them for u as well if needed

Attachments

• 828D5B4C-7FDC-48AB-A538-4C16E86C39C0.jpg
    828D5B4C-7FDC-48AB-A538-4C16E86C39C0.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 102
  • 2C3FB019-B33A-4D16-81A3-E8B75C2AAF0F.jpg
    2C3FB019-B33A-4D16-81A3-E8B75C2AAF0F.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 134
If low 11s is your goal the 49 will get you there. My best is 11.25@20 psi on 255 drag radials. Wish E85 was closer than 1.5 hours to me.
ITSAV6, what exhaust wheel with your TE61?

For the OP, depending on the history of your motor, the stock parts will live quite a while in the 11 second range. The hypereutectic (as mentioned already) pistons will have to go. I would consider reusing the stock crank and rods if you plan to stick with the 49 turbo. Get everything inspected and machined properly, rebuilt as required. You could invest the rest in a solid fuel system, razor alky, and a matched torque converter.

$4000 won't get you much if you're going into the engine and plan on buying a good set of heads. Good pistons/rings, machine work, fasteners, heads, gaskets and $4000 is gone in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk