How well can you make a GN handle?

Re: tires

Originally posted by tcgn
I ask someone I know in a tire shop.He says 235/60/15 is the biggest with stock GN wheels to prevent rubbing.If I want wider
fronts I should step up to 16" or 17" wheels.Too bad:(

Your friend is right. If you get a wheel with a little more offset and trim your outer fender you can run 245s up front with no rubbing. For me, I want the biggest and stickiest rubber up front I can get. I looked at roadracing tires for the front but there were none in my size lol. The 245s up front make it look mean.

A Solid Axle, G-body Cutlass has been taken to .97 g on the skid pad.

It's not really all that hard once you see how it was done.

Ryan

Just some thoughts on tires......

Obviously a lower profile sidewall will out handle a 60-65 series tires since the sidewall is not rolling over. With 16" rims and a 45 series you will get crisper handling and more predictable handling.

Drag Radials are about the worst thing you can use for handling since the sidewalls are made to flex for straight line traction. So in a corner, they will really roll over on you.

I run 255/45/16 on all four corners. It looks mean, but it also handles MUCH better than it did on the 235/65/15. I could feel the sidewalls flexing through the steering wheel.

Sway bars? I would leave the stock bar on. The car has a ton og understeer in as it sits. Increasing the diameter of the front bar will increase the understeer/push. A larger bar in the rear will free up the back and make the car more neutral.

:)

I agree the DRs aren't the best for handling but the rear still feels less "wiggly" than with a 60 series. If I knew for sure I was going to be the only one driving my car, I would have a good Z rated tire on the back for normal driving and slicks on my other rims.

I have a copy of the whole FE3X Article that was in CC in circa 1987.....

FRONT:
The set-up for a .97g, G-body.....
255/50VR16 @ 40psi
Goodyear VRS
16x8 rims
Springs:
.77" wire diam. 700 lb/in spring rate, 201 lb/in wheel rate
Shocks:
Koni Adjustable: Full Hard
Stock 1.50" Sway bar
Urethane Bushings
Stock Brakes
Caster +2.5 deg.
Camber -1.5 deg.
Toe 1/4" out
Weight 1055 Left/995 Right

Rear:
255/50VR16 @ 35psi
Goodyear VRS
16x8 rims
Springs:
.56" wire diam. 141 lb/in spring rate, 141 lb/in wheel rate
Shocks:
Koni Adjustable: Set at Half
Stock .75" Sway bar
Urethane Bushings
F-body Disc Brakes
Weight 740 Left/755 Right

I have a copy of the whole FE3X Article that was in CC in circa 1987.....

FRONT:
The set-up for a .97g, G-body.....
255/50VR16 @ 40psi
Goodyear VRS
16x8 rims
Springs:
.77" wire diam. 700 lb/in spring rate, 201 lb/in wheel rate
Shocks:
Koni Adjustable: Full Hard
Stock 1.50" Sway bar
Urethane Bushings
Stock Brakes
Caster +2.5 deg.
Camber -1.5 deg.
Toe 1/4" out
Weight 1055 Left/995 Right

Rear:
255/50VR16 @ 35psi
Goodyear VRS
16x8 rims
Springs:
.56" wire diam. 141 lb/in spring rate, 141 lb/in wheel rate
Shocks:
Koni Adjustable: Set at Half
Stock .75" Sway bar
Urethane Bushings
F-body Disc Brakes
Weight 740 Left/755 Right

Good info! :D

handling

Check out my Gn going thru a road called Tail of the Dragon 318 curves in 11 miles. I kept up with vetts. look at my cardomain site.:biggrin:

wheels

check 3rd page on cardomain just updated with specs on full car. I was bored at work today.:cool:

hr bar ++++

i put a hr bar on this year and have nothing but good things to say about it. I was using the stock suspention set up on my turbo t then decided to disconnect the front sway bay to help the car hook. My car was all over the place at speed with no front bar. I installed the hr bar and a set of metco arms and the car is tight on the road now, blasted it up to about 148 mph on a open highway with no swaying at all , Even with out the front sway bar, Also corners seem to be alot easier to navigate. some people complain that the bar will make bumps alot harder but I haven't noticed much difference except for the better 60 ft and handling. If you have the cash do it right and get this mod...

My Cutlass has:
  • F-body Spindles
  • GTA front bar
  • F-41 rear bar
  • Sensa-Trac shocks
  • Advance Auto Parts
    • 5560s
    • 5413s
  • Bracing:
    • Fender
    • Front bumper support
    • Rear bumper support
    • Rear seat

It does'nt feel "light" but it handles very well even with the extra weight of a BBO.

will the blisten shocks help get rid of that "Buick float"? I'm not expecting it to feel like a race car, just keep my wife from getting car sick :D
Also, as in sig, I have a 2" drop already

One More That Handles Well / Stops Well....

Here's a couple pics of mine on an auto-x course... :biggrin:

DSC_0240-1.jpg

2010-09-19%20414.jpg

BAER Brake Speed / Stop challenge... 0 to 75 mph. back to 0 in 9.7 seconds! :D
314860_10150312541583907_673353906_8253457_181758398_n.jpg

after reading this thread it is good to see that SOME of you guys like to make turns occasionally. :biggrin: there is more to life than just going straight :tongue:

I was considering those and blacking out the spokes... but they look GREAT as is!!!

Keep it clean!!! How abotu backspacing, tires and all that stuff??

-you can PM me, I don't mean to detract from the thread too much

:-D

Handling

This is what I like!!!!!!! I love the straightline dont get me wrong, but all around capability is what makes any car more enjoyable. Thanks for the .97g cutlass specs. As said earlier drive a 90 5.0 with stock tires and its not great. Mods on the Buick would be more dramatic because of length of chassis and wide foot print. Tires and better wheels alone would make a huge improvement. Jeff Schwartz made an 82 fleetwood Cadillac pull one g and I bet he upset some Porsche and vette owners. Its one of the features in the book (How to Build and Modify Gm Protouring Street Machines by Tony Huntimer) Albeit the 315 rear tire probably has a lot to do with its capability.

HzEmall.com

The link above has a cool regal project. He has boxed the frame rails, installed coilovers, notched the rear rails and etc.
Any car is capable, its just how much to you want to modify, and how much are you willing to spend.