how to wire xfi to turn on 2nd pump under boost.

2GNS4ME

Hey guys,

I have a weldon pump on the car that is driving me nuts because its so loud. A friend of mine gave me this idea.This is the plan let me know if this will work. I have a double pumper (armstrong pumps) with a hobb switch sitting on the shelf. I was thinking of using the double pumper for around town driving and have my xfi kick on the weldon when I get into boost. This would be not inline but set up with a y fitting so both pumps have feeds.

Is this possible and if so can someone tell me how I can wire this up to the XFI system? Thanks in advance.

PS. This would be for a stage II car running on E85

Doesn't the Weldon pump utilize a "race mode" from a controller to kick it up for racing?

If you want to run it how you described, you can use the auxiliary out to ground a relay that will activate the pump. Not sure how it will act with 3 pumps running tho.

a friend of mine said he had the controller and said he didn't like it. He said it was still loud and he noticed pressure drop. I've tried doing searches didnt to much on the weldon controller.

It can be done. Either toggle it with a aux output like already mentioned or use a Hobbs switch.

You're going to have to use a check valve on the Weldon which might disrupt flow. Otherwise the double pumper is just going to bleed back into the tank through the Weldon. I haven't had any issue using the Weldon controller triggered off of the xfi

It can be done. Either toggle it with a aux output like already mentioned or use a Hobbs switch.

Thanks Rick I appreciate your input. Surej told to call you and ask for the Surej special fuel tank recipe. Surej and special or sweet for some reason don't go together even though he is married ;)

You're going to have to use a check valve on the Weldon which might disrupt flow. Otherwise the double pumper is just going to bleed back into the tank through the Weldon. I haven't had any issue using the Weldon controller triggered off of the xfi

Thanks Cal. You think I'm better off just using the controller alone and not hooking up an internal tank? Do you know anyone who had issues with them? The pump is to loud for me. Also it's a 2015 pump I'm thinking ill run out of pump if I turn up the boost down the line on e85

Too bad the 1100-a won;t work on e85 you would have a good pump that is quiet enough, but we will see how mine works at 17-18 volts:) All those big weldon pumps are way to loud for cruising around.

What Cal says is right about the Weldon needing a Check Valve. I since 2004 have been running a LT-1 Pump in the Tank, and a Hobb Switch set at 4 psi.
But I did not add the Check Valve. But I constantly check the Fuel Pressure. It's the easiest way I find, and works very well.

Thanks guys. For now we moved the pump from underneath the hump of the trunk to near the rear bumper. A lot better in the cabin but man is it loud outside sounds like fricken airplane. Now loosing fuel pressure when giving it gas I'm hoping its just the fuel filters need to be replaced with all the moving around.

What are you using for a regulator? If the orifice in the regulator is too small, you will build false pressure.

I use a controller with a 2025 in the trunk and it's not bad on the street with the controller set at about halfway up.

I know this question is not for me, but I'm using a magnafuel tiny 750hp regualtor it flows 6 gpm, don;t be fooled by its size. I love my pump its whisper silent.

Well you will laugh I changed out the fuel filter it made a huge difference. I guess the filters were clogged from moving the pump and made the pump work harder it was insane loud. I never had experience with the pump so I didn't how loud it was suppose to be. Now it's tolerable but in the future I may look into the controller.

FWIW, Caspers now has a high current relay system, 70 amps available as an add-on. And it's a sealed relay as well. This relay will directly power the Weldon pump or any other high current load you need to control.