How to test crank sensor

Donnel Childs

Recently I upgraded ignition module to a 8687 but I don't change my ccci harness... Needless to sat I blew out my crank sensor instantly. I ordered I new one from Casper's last week along with the new harness and put them on earlier this week. The car fired up but for some reason it couldn't get the timing right because it was idling terribly and backfiring. I used 3 different 87 ignition modules and it was still doing the same thing. Now I am no longer getting a spark I know I've cranked the car at least 30 times since I put the crank sensor on and now I have no spark again. It is not touching the reluctor wheel I can see light on either side and can also slide a card through both. Its getting good inputs to the crank sensor so I wanted to know if anyone knew how to test it. I was told to check the voltage on the signal wire while cranking but what should I be looking for.?

Any help is really appreciated
Thanks

just like the cam sensor ..every time the sensor is in an open window of the reluctor the voltage signal will change
theres three windows so the voltage should flicker three times per revolution
if it stays steady while cranking.. there's a problem

Yeah it's only dropping by like .2 so it's pretty much starting the same... Does that mean it's the sensor.? Or another problem

This is how it sits in the car now so I am pretty sure I installed it correctly especially since it was cranking all week

Attachments

• 1443832043558.jpg
    1443832043558.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 240
You can bench test a crank sensor with a 9V battery. Hook the sensor up to it along with a voltmeter, and pass something through the groove.

(Should also work for a cam sensor, but I haven't tested that yet.)

Last edited: