how to tell a lobe is wiped?

tsaltario

Still learning!!!!!
I don't think mine is, but I have a flat tappet style cam in my car, and i hear lots of problems about wiping lobes off. When this happens, what are the characteristics when this happens? Is it noticable?

Thanks

TJ

Shavings in the oil, Tapping sound (off and on ) inside the motor just to name a couple.

I always run a magnetic drain plug and change my oil often. You also need to use ZDDP additive or VR1 racing oil with a flat tappet cam.

HTH
Bo

My car ran surprisingly well with my less than 5,000 mile club cam (#3 cam lobe whipped), I just happend to see it while I was replacing the crank (long story but that block is long gone).

I saw this check in another post;

Quick check: Disconnect ECM (orange wire at battery), Remove valve covers, have someone crank the engine while you look for a rocker arm with little or no action. Double-check #3 cylinder, that's the most common culprit. - Jimmy

You can definitely tell a wiped lobe. The "peak" will be noticeably shorter than the other lobes. Also, the wiped lobed will usually have a rougher finish than the other lobes. Another way to tell is to see if you have any badly cupped lifters...that usually points to a bad lobe. If a lobe is wiped bad enough, it can even cause a dead miss, and backfiring....I speak from experience.

I don't think mine is, but I have a flat tappet style cam in my car, and i hear lots of problems about wiping lobes off. When this happens, what are the characteristics when this happens? Is it noticable?

Thanks

TJ

obviously a bad cam lobe/lobes will present different behaviour depending on the degree of wear---------lots of metal in the pan and filter are a sure sign that things are bad, really bad--------by the time its that bad its more than likely that other parts of the engine are damaged due to secondary causes------things like rings/walls and crank/cam bearings etc.--------naturally it would be best to determine this long before it caused damage requiring more than cam and lifter replacement---------typically the surface hardening on a cam is in the .020" range and as long as the wear is below this amount things are not going to be severe-------a gradual lack of performance can be expected but unless you constantly operate your car in conditions that can resolve minute differences (track/dyno) it might be hard to sense by "seat of the pants"---------if you have been operating your car for the last year with much mileage with off the shelf SM oil I believe it is certain that you have not done your cam a favor-------if it is too late to prevent catastrophic failure with the use of fortified oil or additives is in direct porportion to the amount of wear already caused----------- my recent study of automotive and lubrication industry papers is clearly showing that Nick Michale is right about the synthetic vs dino issue------for flat tappet cams there is a lot of evidence that dino is best ESPECIALLY if you are using API SM oil------there are very clear scientific reasons for the things Nick has stated that he has observed in his years of building engines---------i was somewhat skeptical when he first stated his beliefs but there is solid evidence that he is right-------I am in the process of preparing an informative tech paper on this subject that will deal directly with this subject based totally on published reports from lubrication industry tests and reports-------since the subject has expanded into such a complex study it will actually be published in two tech papers-------when they are done they will be published on the ZDDPlus site as tech paper #11 Oil base stock characteristics------ the second paper number and title will be announced later ---------at any rate we know if a cam is bad it is pretty obvious that performance is going to suffer-------by the time things have progressed from gradual to "severe" you can certainly expect missing, popping etc. and other strange symptoms--------a compression check that shows definite cylinder to cylinder differences with no other explanation is a good indication of trouble---------problem is that you must do several compression checks in a row on the same cylinder--------my best guess is that it could take as many as three or four--------i am in the middle of replacing a cam on a car with a couple bad lobes-------it was diagnosed as running bad and had lots of metal in the oil--------first compression check every cylinder looked fine--------160 PSI +/- 5----------since i already knew it had a bad cam i was puzzled------i decided to do another check cause i couldn't beleive that a compression check would show nothing especially with such a bad cam as this engine had----------second time same as the first---------third time one cylinder compression dropped nearly 40 PSI----------next time it went back up to normal----------a study of the lifter will show why---------only one side of the lifter and cam wore severly----------obviously the lifter was still spinning and if the high side of the lifter and the high side of the cam happened to line up things appeared normal------------check out the pic of cam and lifter....................RC
attachment.php

Attachments

• CamShaft.JPG
    CamShaft.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 387
You can look at the cam or the rockers - but the first thing I would look at is the vacuum gauge - is it bouncing rapidly? I do not mean a large movement.

There is a wear pattern on the cam lobes just either side of the nose - a lobe going down will not show the same pattern as the others.