How to mark and cut a piece of tubing nice and square.

earlbrown

runs with scissors
A few weeks ago I was going to write a 'how to make the chinese Gbody SLIC actually fit' article. Turns out I spend all day working on it and it still doesn't fit right. While Making a custom up pipe so it could actually reach the throttlebody I thought this tip would be worthwhile to some....

People that know this trick will probably roll their eyes... Those that don't will be like...
Are-college-students-more-brilliant-The-grade-inflation-debate.jpg

First, get the piece you want to cut and find a strip of paper long enough to go all the way around the circumference....
Photo1496.jpg

Then wrap the paper around the tube until the ends overlap nice and flush...

Photo1497.jpg

..and that's it. That's a nice square layout mark.

Photo1499.jpg

Masking tape will work if you put the sticky side facing out. The paper being able to 'float' is what allows lining up the ends perfect.

Pretty clever Earl. I use a similar technique for cutting cooler couplings. I use a solid piece of pipe and slide the coupling through it. I use the pipe as a straight edge/guide then use a stanley knife with a new blade to make a perfect cut.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    785.3 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
How are you guys cutting the pipes? Any tips on making sure the cut is straight all around through the pipe?

If you have to use a hacksaw, once you break though, just cut one side and rotate as you go. That way you can watch the saw.

Then dress it with a file or belt sander.