how to do bodywork

This is some of my air brushing and hand painting, also CNC machine work on the stock valve covers.
If you have any questions you can call me.
Joe
774-930-4156

those look real nice!!!! iam interested in learning some basic body work and paint skills so i will be visiting this section more often:biggrin:

Yeah, I sand blasted the stock hood I have... when sand blasting, always blast the sand at an angle... never blast straight at a panel (or like JC3569/Joe said), you will warp the metal. Same goes for welding, always tach weld first before you full weld... if you try to zip along with one big weld, you won`t like what happens... unless you like applying a lot of body filler, then go right ahead:biggrin:

Matt; Yeah, I will have to use grease and wax remover before sanding it... I just did it so I could put it on the car to see how it looked:biggrin:

Charlie; It will look like new, but better;) I am going to remove the inner frame rails and weld it so it still has enough strength not to twist when lifted up.

I know it can be fixed but that hood is a real mess. Looking foward to seeing how it looks when it's done.

i bet when he finishes it you wont be able to tell it was rusted. you would be suprised what body men can fix..

those look real nice!!!! iam interested in learning some basic body work and paint skills so i will be visiting this section more often:biggrin:
hope to see you around. i will try to keep posting. i am trying to get more body men to help. we will see how that goes. i know jase is on board.

Yeah, I sand blasted the stock hood I have... when sand blasting, always blast the sand at an angle... never blast straight at a panel (or like JC3569/Joe said), you will warp the metal. Same goes for welding, always tach weld first before you full weld... if you try to zip along with one big weld, you won`t like what happens... unless you like applying a lot of body filler, then go right ahead:biggrin:

Matt; Yeah, I will have to use grease and wax remover before sanding it... I just did it so I could put it on the car to see how it looked:biggrin:

Charlie; It will look like new, but better;) I am going to remove the inner frame rails and weld it so it still has enough strength not to twist when lifted up.

sound like you have some good ideas. please post how you do it. i need more guys to post how to do things.

I think you've started a great thread Matt. This should help quite a few of the members out with their projects.

1000 grit sand paper, soup, water, rubbing compound, scratch remover, buffer, some elbow action... and there ya go:biggrin:
1001162.jpg

1001165g.jpg

1001168v.jpg

1001164p.jpg

No, its not fixed yet... I`m just proving a point... its not hard to bring old paint back to life.

I will be painting this '79 grill and a spare Buick plate as-well, black of course... looks more like an '86/87 GN grill and the '78 looks more like an '84/85 grill.
1001154i.jpg

I will be painting these spare wheels I have... I will show you how to make even these ugly old spares look decent:biggrin:
1001157h.jpg

Here is one of the header panels I will be messing around with:D
1001155d.jpg

I will be painting this carb(Black).
1001152i.jpg

I will be painting this intake(Red/w Silver parts&pieces)
1001147s.jpg

I will be painting these spare wheels I have... I will show you how to make even these ugly old spares look decent:biggrin:
1001157h.jpg

I will be painting this carb(Black).
1001152i.jpg

I will be painting this intake(Red/w Silver parts&pieces)
1001147s.jpg

jase you should have showed people how to wet sand and buff it out. dont worry i like that you are on board. lets show theses guys how to do some work. why dont you paint that carb with carb renew it would look way better and more factory. do you know how to pinstripe because that intake would look cool with some red pin stripes. just some ideas for you. i always wanted to get a set of rims and paint them flat black with a red pin stripe around the edge like a old school nascar. just some ideas.;)

jase you should have showed people how to wet sand and buff it out. dont worry i like that you are on board. lets show theses guys how to do some work. why dont you paint that carb with carb renew it would look way better and more factory. do you know how to pinstripe because that intake would look cool with some red pin stripes. just some ideas for you. i always wanted to get a set of rims and paint them flat black with a red pin stripe around the edge like a old school nascar. just some ideas.;)

Mybad... I didn`t think of that. I guess I can show how to do that with the trunk lid then:biggrin:
1001156q.jpg

I may do the carb renew with this cab and black for the B/T one, when I get one. I know how to do pin striping... I may do a little somewhere. I think if you found some plan wheels with the design that has all the holes pattern and then do that... that would be cool:biggrin: These look more like truck wheels:rolleyes:

One thing I'm gonna point out here other than great work guys. If you use a host for your pics and something happens the the pics disappear. Post them directly to the board that way they will be here for as long as the board is.

One thing I'm gonna point out here other than great work guys. If you use a host for your pics and something happens the the pics disappear. Post them directly to the board that way they will be here for as long as the board is.

I`v hat to do that a couple of times... had to restore Windows(a normal thing):mad: and lost the pics I had of the car before I started repairing the body and hat to get the pic I posted of it off here:biggrin: Its ok though, it was ugly a hell anyways:D

Thanks for the lessons, but I will stick to driving.

I helped a friend who does bodywork. Man it is tough work they earn every penny they make.

i have to do a few touch up (quarter size) spots on my car.
How terrible would it be to brush on the Epoxy primer?
i'd hate to have to spray it, i'd waste more material on cleaning the gun then the amount i need to spray.
thanks for your help.

i have to do a few touch up (quarter size) spots on my car.
How terrible would it be to brush on the Epoxy primer?
i'd hate to have to spray it, i'd waste more material on cleaning the gun then the amount i need to spray.
thanks for your help.

i would say it depends on the area that needs to be fixed is it a scratch? Post some pics so I can get a better idea.

i was a little stressed out today. so, i decided to grab a pice of scrap and do some airbrushing. this is what i got; it look ok for something that i was just messing with. i sprayed glow in the dark stuff over it, so, only the white glows but my camera cant take pic in the dark .:mad:

Attachments

• SDC10094.jpg
    SDC10094.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 528
i guess today i will post how to prep plastic and paint pearls.
to start if the part is new you start by scuffing it, if its not then you have to sand it down to bare plastic. then the next step is to clean it with a special wax and grease remover. after that you have to spray a adhisive promotor over the part. (follow the directions on the can) make sure you do follow them. then you paint the part the same way you paint any part. when painting the part make sure to add flex additive to the clear. this is some dirt bike parts so it not show quality, but still nice. flex additive is a must on this project. i add my pearl in with the clear, the right way is to add it to inter coat clear, but for a dirt bike it works well.

Attachments

• SDC10278.jpg
    SDC10278.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 478
  • SDC10279.jpg
    SDC10279.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 481
  • SDC10258.jpg
    SDC10258.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 474
  • SDC10261.jpg
    SDC10261.jpg