How streetable is a PT-70 with my current combo?

Boostisgood

I am considering upgrading from my PT-54 to a PT-70 4 bolt. I realize it is a big turbo and i need to figure out if it is worth the change. What would i need to change? Obviously my injecters. What else? Could the car still be a everyday driver with good streetability. Would i need some awesome heads for that kind of turbo? Thanks for any help or thoughts.

What does your car run now? buying a lot of mods for the sake of buying mods is silly. Mods are to make your car faster, not so you can have a 12 second car with a lot of 10 second mods on it.

I have not run my car yet but i have had this turbo for about 4 months now and i just have the itch to go faster. My guess is that my car could run 11.30-11.50's. My goal is to run 10.0's with a total street car. I thought buying a pair of good heads, more fuel, and a bigger turbo wouldn't be that much trouble. Please help help me out some more. Thanks!

Your PT54 is good to mid 10's with decent boost. You will need a rebuild with better pistons/caps, bolts before you run out of turbo. Use what you have to its fullest before you upgrade. You will not go any faster with a PT70 with your combo than the turbo you have now.

Bigger is NOT always better! You need to max out the combo you have now before stepping up to a 70. Why haven't you gone to the track yet? I've been itching to see what the 54 will actually do. I know what the 51 will do so it can only get better with the 54.

Yeah max out what you have first. I'm close to the 10's with my TA-49. Don't forget if you get that big turbo you will need a big stall converter too like around 4000 stall and that makes street driving a pain. If you don't upgrade the stall it will come off like Grandma's car out of the hole. Call me if you need some help with your present combo. Frank

Here is my take:

I have the same convertor as you with the 63 and feel I could go to a 70 with a 4k stall which would make it non-streetable IMO. That is a bunch of stall for a "real street car" IMO. If I ever step mine up another notch I plan on trying a 66 with a ball bearing setup. Should be the hot ticket for that level and keep my 3200 stall.

I have been using a 70 turbo,72 lbs injectors, DFI, 3800 A/C NL convertor on a stock block for about 2 years and it is a very streetable combo.The car has gone 11.20 and is cabable of going faster but I don't push it because of the stock bottom end.I have to agree with the others guys don't up grade just to be upgrading use up what you have and then upgrade.

I currently run a 70 on my car and I drive on the street all the time. I have a 3500 stall non-lockup convertor. 85 turbo production block...no caps....stock pistons....no girdle. I tried a 4k stall conv. but the car layed down on the big end. A 70 will work on the street but it is a little slow to build boost until it reaches about 8 lbs then it takes off....good luck

Originally posted by Reginald West
I have been using a 70 turbo,72 lbs injectors, DFI, 3800 A/C NL convertor on a stock block for about 2 years and it is a very streetable combo.The car has gone 11.20 and is cabable of going faster but I don't push it because of the stock bottom end.I have to agree with the others guys don't up grade just to be upgrading use up what you have and then upgrade.

How do you ever pass CA emissions with that setup? Educate me please!

The only time a turbo is too big ; is if you can't close the hood on your car

Originally posted by BigDaddy
I currently run a 70 on my car and I drive on the street all the time. I have a 3500 stall non-lockup convertor. 85 turbo production block...no caps....stock pistons....no girdle. I tried a 4k stall conv. but the car layed down on the big end. A 70 will work on the street but it is a little slow to build boost until it reaches about 8 lbs then it takes off....good luck

i have the same problem as you slow to about 6 to 7 lbs then wow
i had a .85 ar i swap it to a 81 and there was a big chage in the lag..:D

TO BIG OF TURBO

Hi Boostisgood,
Your combo looks like you already have good selection of parts. Why not take the car to the track and see what it actually will do!
Then post your results, It would be interesting to see your times with your current combo.:rolleyes:

Hey Boostx.............

Thanks for the tip. I'm running a 85 also..........Maybe stp aka. Maytag aka Narrow ass # 1, could weigh in on this subject also, he knows more about my turbo than I do.

Stick with the .85

A little tunin on the FP should take care of some of the lag. Not to mention the addition of a nice set of heads and a t-brake! Narrow Ass? You must be thinkin of someone else! Biggie you should give these guys the web address of your videos from Bristol.

STP did you ever think you might not know what you are talking about

hehehehehe N.A. #2

Oh...

So nice of you to grace us with your presence narrow ass #2!