How necessary is the Intercooler shroud/scoop?

ttafan

Just wondering if anyone has done any back to back testing to see if the factory style intercooler scoop really cools the intake charge so much that is is absolutely necessary? Not Talking about driving long distances in the 90 degree heat, Just during say 1/4 mile runs. Wouldn't alcohol injection and an electric fan suffice??? Front mounts on TTA's don't have shrouds, but then again, they're not behind the radiator. :cool:

Any extra cooler air helps period. If it was not needed, it wouldn't have been there in the first place....regardless of alky.
If alky is the answer, there's no need for the intercooler.

The OEM i/c was only about 58% efficient, when new. With 20+ yrs of heat cycles, vibration, corrosion, that % is significantly reduced.
it needs all the help it can get.

I hear ya' but... I've seen some 20 year old pieces of warped rubber that used to resemble some sort of scoop that barely have an inch and a half of space opened up to let cool air in. Then you got a metal mesh in the way taking up the rest of the open area that's supposed to let air in. Rubber basically covers all the cooling surface. Has anyone driven the car without it and actually seen the difference if it benefits and how much?

I hear ya' but... I've seen some 20 year old pieces of warped rubber that used to resemble some sort of scoop that barely have an inch and a half of space opened up to let cool air in. Then you got a metal mesh in the way taking up the rest of the open area that's supposed to let air in. Rubber basically covers all the cooling surface. Has anyone driven the car without it and actually seen the difference if it benefits and how much?

You bring up good points...I have wondered the same thing before. I might do some testing this summer.

Jason

Interesting post. Hope others who have tried will post their experiences.

well after plowing snow with our new TTA in 89 I replaced it with a Buick shroud. It gets more air (lower than a TTA one) :cool:

I had an aftermarket fiberglass scoop/shroud from a GN on my TTA, It was a little tight fitting in but worked. Only down side is that it was a good bit lower than the stock one, and I hit a dead groundhog that was in the middle of the road and ripped the bottom clean off. I guess a stock one would hold up a little better than fiberglass.

I drove mine for a while without the shroud once. It made a noticeable decrease in power seat of the pants. That was when it was relatively stock.

How much cutting did you have to do to get it to fit?

from what I remember it was just a bolt on.. it does hang low BUT isn't brittle like the TTA stock one.. Oh I took the wire mesh out of my stocker when it was new. Damm that was a long time ago !!