How much HP will I gain from Champ Heads with this combo

bigcap

After the heads I think I will stop to prevent putting to much on the block. I'm putting in the Iron Cast Champion Heads how much do you think they will help?

TE44c Ball Bearing Turbo
Devils Own Alky Kit
Shift Recalibration Kit
3000 Stall Converter
Rebuilt Tranny
Eaton Posi Rear
60 LB Injectors
70MM Plenum
70MM Throttle Body
Cut Outs
LT1 Maf
Gen 2 Maf Trans
3 Inch Up Pipe
Turbo Tweak Alky chip
Rear Sway Bar
New Map Sensor
New TPS Sensor
3 inch Poston Down Pipe
Pypes Catback
Poston Headers Ceramic Coated
Dutweiler Neck Intercooler
Poly Urathane Body Bushings Kit
Rear Seat Brace Kit
Chrome Molly Fly Wheel
Frame Brace Kit
Hood Brace Kit
Front Connecting Brace Kit
High Performance Walbro Fuel Pump
Fuel Pump Wiring Upgrade
Remote Oiling System Upgrade
Underdrive Pulley set
High Rev Springs
Chrome Molly Push Rods
High Rev Lifters
Gn 110t Cam
Accufab Adjustable Fuel Regulator
Fuel Rail Feed Line
H&R Parts Poly Motor Mounts
H&R Parts Poly Trans Mount
Mickey Thompson Drags
New Gas Tank
Upgraded Ignition and Coil Pack
Weld Rims
Scan Master
Aftermarket Gauges All Around

Probably about 30 horsepower. You really need more turbo.

I think the rule of thumb is ported heads will free up 4-5lbs of boost over stock heads.

Like Jay said a bigger turbo will help you take more of an advantage with the heads.

That sounds like the old days...everything was 30 hp or .2 :biggrin:

Actually in the old days it was 2 tenths and 2 MPH.

With the turbo he has, 30 horsepower is probably realistic. If he had something bigger, Id have said more. Ive seen cars pick up 50 horsepower with heads but they had way more turbo.

I heard 66mm of turbo or bigger is where heads make a big benefit.

Thats not really true. 66mm and bigger turbos havent always been around but people were porting heads long before the aftermarket turbo selection was anywhere near what it is today.

Back in the day, the fastest "street" Buick around was Tom Rix's car which ran 11.70ish with ported heads and a Garrett Stage II turbo which was the only option available back then. I ran 7.20s in the 1/8th with the same Stage II turbo with a bigger exhaust wheel.

The thing to remember is that heads make or break your combo. Its entirely possible to slow down with crappy ported heads. Good heads just give you something to build on. Yes bigger turbos make them worth more but thats just because you were choking off the turbo before.

I think the car will make the same power at less boost.

Its all about combination on these cars. Your turbo is fine for a stock longblock.

If the turbo is rated for 600 HP. thats flywheel not rearwheel. but once you make 600 HP.. you cant move more air from the turbo. So opening up the heads, doing a cam, etc.. your at 600 HP. With that said, an engine that breathes better will make the same power at a lesser boost level. So instead of 27 PSI, it does it at 23 PSI for example. Every car is different.

You should be doing heads/cam that way when they build the heads, they put the correct springs on them. A small roller is the complement.

Then a larger turbo, looser converter.. and it really starts to wake up.

It's got the GN110T Cam. The next mod is a turbo certainly but I don't have any complaints about the 44 thus far. I'll be happy with a low 11 time slip.

It's got the GN110T Cam. The next mod is a turbo certainly but I don't have any complaints about the 44 thus far. I'll be happy with a low 11 time slip.

While its not outside the realm of possibility that you might see a low 11 with the 44, I seriously doubt it. I think the horsepower ratings for the turbos are a tad inflated. 11.50s are probably reasonable with a 44.

I have run 11.20's with a old school 44 back in the early 90's with my White T @ 24psi so its very doable with todays technology

The engine thats in my blue car now ran 11.40's (not when i owned it) with a 44 and Garrett .63 ex, and really old converter tech. Its since been freshened. It has the same set of econo ported heads that had nothing but a good valve job and bowl cleanup. Combustion chambers are untouched. I have a 44 on the car now with a Precision .63. I have no doubt it will run bottom 11's. Like 11.0-11.10 with a decent tune at 26 or so psi. I still have an old AC converter in there but it will be changed for a PTC 9.5". Heads are always worth it even if its a soimple vavlve job and quick cleanup under the valve. A friend went 114mph back in 99 with Champion ported heads and stock turbo and no tuning device at all:eek:. His 60's sucked with the tires he had and the best was a 1.72 and 12.0's. Boost was around 23-24 on the gauge. Heads will go a long way even with small turbos. Ive only heard of a couple with that much mph on a stock turbo and a full weight TR. Fwiw the TE44 went 10.80's on an unopened engine before.

While its not outside the realm of possibility that you might see a low 11 with the 44, I seriously doubt it. I think the horsepower ratings for the turbos are a tad inflated. 11.50s are probably reasonable with a 44.
I disagree slightly. I think that most peoples tuning abilities fall short more so than the turbos ability to get it done. The hp numbers on the turbos have been surpassed in most instances on applications where there run hard. I believe the new school 44 is rated at 545hp. So it would take about 124mph at 3600lbs to get it done. Its totally possible imo. Backpressure would be very high

The ported irons will help out immensely. With my tiny TA-49 running at 21-22 psi I was able to crack off an 11.229 in my signature. I have a couple of more psi before I max out the turbo and if I can get my 60’ times in the 1.5X range I should be able to get a 10.9X out of my combo before I upgrade the turbo.

Champions really woke my car up, and I do not have a ported intake to match the heads. I am still running the stock intake.

a friend went 10.7 125mph on a 44 garret.82,slicks,race gas,on a lightened gn with heads and cam,ac 9inch nonlockup.my stock motor did 120mph on a 49 at 3800 lbs pump gas alky and 125mph on a 35shot,100/93 and alky at 3700lbs.i was tempted to put the 49 back on my rpe built motor but i know the comparason would be unfair since there is a huge difference between motors.i would put a good set of heads on the car

So from reading the responses I should be capable of reaching my goals. I'll be happy with a mid to low 11 and if I saw a high ten I'd faint. :biggrin: