how much heat differance

cruzn57

Still plays with cars!
by going non lock up on a 2004r,
3500 stall. fresh trans, perf build,
I am already using over sized external cooler, (no rad cooler)
and rpm diff at say 65 mph?

Depends on the converter. Setting it up to couple with your power level will need to be discussed with who ever you choose to build the converter will keep the revs down. Building it for a high stall will make it more difficult but there are those out there doing it and with good results.

Give Dave Husek a call. I'm using his 3021 (it's spragless, if that's a term...) and I drive it on the street all the time and it does weekend track duty. I love it. I live in hilly country, so that makes a difference in street driving and revs compared to great plains highway stuff. So you have to consider that when comparing what people say about revs/slippage. Be careful if you occasionally race a sprag equipped TC. If you roll out of the water box while burning out, you'll bust the sprag...or so I've heard.

You really should go through the rad in addition to the cooler it will knock 20+ degrees off your trans temps, ive tested this in the summer, on a lock up trans tho.

by going non lock up on a 2004r,
3500 stall. fresh trans, perf build,
I am already using over sized external cooler, (no rad cooler)
and rpm diff at say 65 mph?

In my stock street car, maybe 100 RPM difference.

With my well modified street car and others I have done with a 10" NLU, I cannot tell, or care about any difference at speed, but I can sure see the difference when "rocketing" away from a stop light w/o spinning the tires! :LOL:

The 3021 is a lock up correct? If so a lock up can be spragless and run no hotter than a non lock because it's locked at highway speed. In my experience it's about 15-20 degrees cooler with a sprag. You also don't want to use a stock style sprag because they are more prone to breakage. I use an aftermarket HD sprag when one is needed.

The 3021 is a lock up correct?.
Not completely correct. FYI - The 3021 and 3521 are available Lock-up and non Lock-up with custom options. They both use HD Sprags. My custom Billet 9" uses a diode and is non lock-up for now. They are also available for all popular transmissions.

Give Dave Husek a call. I'm using his 3021 (it's spragless, if that's a term...) and I drive it on the street all the time and it does weekend track duty. I love it. I live in hilly country, so that makes a difference in street driving and revs compared to great plains highway stuff. So you have to consider that when comparing what people say about revs/slippage. Be careful if you occasionally race a sprag equipped TC. If you roll out of the water box while burning out, you'll bust the sprag...or so I've heard.

Your 3021 HF non lock-up has a HD Sprag and I wouldn't be concerned. Call me with any questions

Last edited: