How much fluid?

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I just put a new TC in my car. In the process of removing the trans what seems like a few hundred gallons of fluid dumped out of the dipstick hole when I accidentally tipped the trans on its side. I put fluid in the new TC (it would only take about half a quart?) and installed it.

How much fluid should I put back in? I know it's impossible to tell without knowing how much I lost but if I fill it to where it's *just* visible on the dipstick cold, would that get me close enough to run it and see where it's at hot? Is there a rule of thumb when checking it cold?

TIA,
Jim

With a smaller converter...

They will hold about 11 quarts or so total. If you've put some fluid in the TC, and there's some showing on the stick, start it up and keep checking and filling till it's in the safe range, then cycle the shifter through all the gear positions and check again. This will ensure that all the passages in the VB are full. After a short test drive (when the trans is up to operating temp), check the level again. That should do it.

Okay, here's what I did.

Put a gallon in it. Started it briefly. Shut it off, let the fluid settle. There was some foamy fluid on the end and a lot of fluid about halfway up the dipstick. I couldn't believe that there was too much in it so I took it for a spin. Went into gear hard like it always does, shifted sort of firm into 2nd. Slipped a lot under a load - I drove it about a mile and only got on it once or twice. Pump was whining a bit.

Pulled it back in, check the fluid with it running. Nothing but bubbly fluid. Checked it again. Dry.

Put a quart in it. Now I can see it on the dipstick. Took it out again. WOW what a difference. Brought it back and checked it - it was just barely on the dipstick.

Ultimately it took 2 more quarts. So I was tooling around 3 quarts low (albiet not very long). Hope I didn't hurt anything. It's making a little different noise (pump noise?) when I drop it into 2 or 1. I dunno if it did that before or not - not sure if this 9x11 would make a different sound. I was listening for any weird noises but never had gone out of my way to listen before. Fluid is where it should be.

Anyhow, now that there's fluid in it this new converter is awesome. I moved from a 3k 10.5" stall to a 3400 stall 9x11. Huge difference and still not bad for a "street" car. Just need to have sticky tires.

Jim