how messy does it get run motor no valve cover?

litz

trying to track down a loud tapping, think it is in rear of drivers side valve cover. How much oil will squirt out if I start the enigne with no valve cover?

alot... and then it gets on the headers and then it burns off... equals smoke, and you cant see anything... you get a good minute of running before that happens...

very messy. If you have an extra valve cover lying around you can cut out the middle and bolt it in. This will take the mess down a notch.

Same here, very little oil flying out. I've run the car for 30 seconds with hardly any oil on anything.

Originally posted by litz
........ think it is in rear of drivers side valve cover. How much oil will squirt out if I start the engine with no valve cover?

Worst part is oil running over the lip on the head. Since you are interested in the driver's side, jack it up on that side so the oil will mainly go down the oil return instead of over the side, or lip of the head.

Just build a little splash guard out of cardboard (like from a shoe box) and slip it between the rockers and the outside edge of the head. Any oil that squirts out will hit the cardboard and drip back into the head. Works for me.