how loud would my Buick be with open down pipe..streetable?

monte87LS

I know my Monte with open headers was heard for miles, but with a turbo car I know the turbo qiets the car down alot, and my nabor drives his Cyclone with his cutout open on the road and swears its not loud at all, Ive heard his Cyclone in the nabor driving 20mph down our street and its really not loud but on the highway going 50mph how much louder would she get...Since I could use the extra cash for my 87 T-Type Im thinking about selling my exhaust ,it has 3 inch high flow catalytic converter, 3 inch stainless dual exhaust from Bowling Green Customs, it exits on the side behind the back tire.....then I would just have my buddy flare the end of a 3" pipe to slide onto the down pipe and bend the other end so it dumps down, it would be a 3 foot long 3 inch pipe dumped pretty much with no muffler or cat, I would just clamp it on and be done, but would that be too loud on the street, she's going to be my daily driver

Man, that sound would get OLD real fast!! I have an electric cutout & open it maybe 1/4" sometimes just for fun in town but it gets irritating after about 1 min for me. Driving everyday like that would be insane IMO. Plus, good reason to get pulled over by the cops on a regular basis.
Also, whats the difference between that & a RICER with a big Fart Can on the back being loud & obnoxious?? Not Much IMO.
I sure wouldnt do it!

I have an electric exhaust cut out on my TTA, the only time its closed is pulling it in and out of the garage. I run it open all the time since the TTA exhaust is so restrictive. If I want to listen to the music loud I shut it. 5 seconds to close. I do not think its to bad. My 70 455 pontiac w/ 3" exhaust all the way out was still louder than my TTA.

when I put the DP on the exhaust didn't line up, so I drove it to the muffler shop open. It was louder than any car should be! You could hear me for miles, and it was waaaay too loud for radio or even normal thinking in the car.

Tonight I drove my car with my daughter in it,she was messing with the radio, drove 4 miles next to a cop, he was even on the right side where my cut out is, no complants from either.

A stock engine is really quiet at idle with an open dp. Driving isn't too bad either. The only thing is the drone will get on your nerves.

A stock turbo with 3" DP is pretty quiet. For some reason the 3" pipe seems to have a more mellow sound than the stock downpipe.

Don't do the turndown. It will make it much louder inside the car. You would be better off with it slightly down and toward the side.

I drove mine back in the day (I was much younger) with a 45 degree elbow and some pipe that stuck out right about the center of the pass. door. Nobody ever looked twice. :)

I can't stand the sound either. With a stock setup, I don't feel that much of a difference anyway with the Hooker cat-back.

Lol some of you old dudes crack me up...;) a headache from a turbo 6? I work in the monster truck industry so my definition of loud is generally pretty damn loud, but last year the car lived with the stock exhaust with a 2.5in cutout before the cat that was always open... the girls I dated during that time didn't like it, but my friends all loved it... I have since replaced it with a 3in dp and a hooker system... I like the quiet exhaust note much better just because it has gone back into "sleeper" mode... I do miss the ridiculous turbo whine though and all the stares when I would roll through car meets...

If my car was faster I would have just put a 3in resonator(straight through circular muffler) on the end of the DP and a turn out tip and called it a day! Loud cars get more attention and this one does not need any more attention... Just do not do a turn down, make sure it turns OUT. Also needing to pass emissions was a factor in getting the hooker system too...

I leave my cutout open just to hear the turbo whine. It's music to my ears! How old are all you guys??

If you want to hear the turbo whistle, space the cap out with washers and cap it back up.

The open dump get old and annoying fast. The reason it's so loud in the car, the exhaust dumps under the car.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

My Max Wedge with 13.5:1 slugs .625 solid cam and a 3 inch flowmaster system is not bad, but my blown 409 with 3.5 inch 2 chamber racemasters is completely mindblowing. Was really cool when I was 25, but almost 40 is different. I am cutting the floor out this winter to put Flowmaster RV mufflers on. My GN has got the GN1 PERFORMANCE 3 inch from downpipe to tailpipe with cut-out. I will have to undo it and let you know.

Cool topic to discuss.
Coach

I like a bit of a rumble ;)

No muffler, but I do run a Cat. Dumps out the side. :eek:

Haven't gotten tired of it yet. :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC01267.JPG
    DSC01267.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 560
  • DSC01271.JPG
    DSC01271.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 574
i dont know about a buick but my vega had a 400 small block with 91mm turbo and i drove it all the time and the down pipe was right at the front of the car and never had any trouble from cops or anything.i did see chows old car in a video driving on the street and i dont know why that car is so loud

For some reason I could see a buzzing 6 sound somewhat like a fart can equipped rice burner if the cut out were left open.

I have an electric exhaust cut out on my TTA, the only time its closed is pulling it in and out of the garage. I run it open all the time since the TTA exhaust is so restrictive. If I want to listen to the music loud I shut it. 5 seconds to close. I do not think its to bad. My 70 455 pontiac w/ 3" exhaust all the way out was still louder than my TTA.

Me too. Electric cutout is the way to go. Closed for the trip to the store, opened in a second for a quick blast back home.