How long is it ususally for aftermarket to start reproducing NOS parts?

2QUIK6

Turbo Milk Jug displacmnt
Basic general question, wondering how long after GM quits producing certain parts does it take before aftermarket manufacturers start producing the parts?
Reason I ask, I need a new radiator overflow bottle on my '79 TA, and GM quit making them about a year ago, now these things are going for over $300 on ebay for new ones!!! They sold new from GM for $15 a year ago!! I'm thinking of taking my leaking one off and taking to a place that does injection moldings to see if they can replicate one and have them make several hundred to sell!

The after market will never make NOS parts. I think what you mean to say is reproduction parts. Sorry to be nitpicky.

Rob
The costs for an injection mold will be very expensive. You will have to sell a baot load of them to break even. GM may want a cut for a licensing fee. This is probably the only way that part will ever be reproduced. Good luck
Dave

If the demand is there, and people are willing to pay $$$, someone will make the part. Molds are expensive, etc.. and GM would probably want their cut, unless it was made a bit different.

There are specialty manufacturers still making Model T and really old Mercedes parts from the beginning of LAST century. In our little Turbo Buick world, we are blessed with lots of vendors still making stuff for these cars that last rolled off the assembly line in the late 80's.

Good luck with your venture if you decide to do it. There are people who make their living doing just what you are proposing - some make steering wheels, others make repro tires, batteries, etc... sometimes for cars that haven't been made in 50 years or more.

I just paid a lot of money for repros' of some very special sprocket cogs on a vintage bicycle that hasn't been produced since the 1930's. A machinist made them for me, to my specs. It's easy for him to produce more of them now that everything has been layed out, and he has several more orders lined up. A side job for him that will make him several thousand dollars by providing a product people are willing to pay for.

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

I've talked to a few people in the plastics industry before, a mold costing thousands isn't unusual honestly. May be best off trying to find something close that fits honestly.

Have you checked companies like "Year One"? They seem to like to buy manufacturing right of parts like this. Call and see if they have plans. This part sounds like no one has bothered yet. If it was available somewhere they wouldn't be going that high on Ebay.

Performance Years Pontiac Restoration and Year One both just say the part was recently disco'd from GM, no idea when they may make one. I guess I can put a non-matching bottle on temporarily until someone makes one, there's a hole in the bottom of mine so every time I run the car, whatever goes into the overflow ends up on the ground.

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
Performance Years Pontiac Restoration and Year One both just say the part was recently disco'd from GM, no idea when they may make one. I guess I can put a non-matching bottle on temporarily until someone makes one, there's a hole in the bottom of mine so every time I run the car, whatever goes into the overflow ends up on the ground.

depending on the size, JB weld works good for such things.