How Is The Hook On The Street With Nitto 275 60 15 Dr's?

I just put on Nitto DR 275 50x15's about a month ago. Check my sig for my combo. I do not hook at all on colder days (45 deg. is considered cold here in San Jose). The cold makes for lots of power with the motor, and chilly streets and stiff rubber. I can easily break loose at the top of first gear, stay spinning, to where the car shifts into third through the spin. Then of course it hooks and I'm in too high of a gear. I do have much better traction at +60 deg. and if I've just spun them...heating them up. I've had them hook pretty well in that case.

BTW, anyone interested in 2 almost new (1 month old) Nitto DR 275 50x15's, I'm selling them. They have about 1K miles on them. I simply miss the taller profile tire in the rear with my 8" rims. I used to have 295x60x15's! I have my wheel wells cut to allow for that large of a tire. I'd like to go for the biggest Nitto Dr the they got...what is it the 275 60x15?

Terry

i have them on my mid 11 sec car. its to cold now to test. my old nittos 50s needed a huge burnout to work good. these will most likely be the same.

I had them on a couple of months in the fall waiting for a race day that got cancelled due to snow. :(

They hooked as good as the 50's I would say and drove fine for daily use.

Just don't fit in the wheelwell very good without 10-12 psi. in the airbags.

Mid 12 car. Maybe a bit better with a good driver. ;)

I've had 275/50/15s on my car for about 2 years now. These tires like heat to hook on the street. I'm not talking about john force burnouts, but they do benefit from a quick spin OR some miles of highway driving. Just don't expect to roll out of the garage in 50* weather and instantly hook.

I called Nitto about the optimal tire temp during burnout and it was surprisingly low, suggesting that they don't recommend huge burnouts. You might call them and see if they've changed their tune (they were very engaging when I called). They may now also have this on their website.

Good luck, I know you'll enjoy them.
-Scott

Mine hook a heck of a lot better than any street tire. The car was scary to drive until I got the nittos. They still spin when the boost comes on, but its not nearly as bad as it was with regular tires. I drive 60 miles to the track and back on them and they drive just fine.

Big Improvement

A big improvement over the same size BFG Radial T/A's!! I guess that's not saying much though!:p - T

Basically stock & on warm days, I can't spin 275x50.
A friends low 11 second car spins 275x50 at will.
I have no experience with 275x60.

i had a set of nitto's and i went back to BFG's they hook better on the street, plus they are closer to 26" tall.

I have 275 50s and if the tire is warm, I can leave with 5# w/o spinning. I have managed a 10# launch on the street once. The difference between them and regular street radials was night and day - I can actually go around a corner and not worry about the car shifting into second and going sideways now.

Better off with slicks!!!!!!! In my mind, no point in DRs. They get low mileage (about 10,000) and still can't hook for $hit without a burnout. So if you are a fan of having fun on the street, these tires are almost no difference to most other good street tires. What are you going to do, pull up to some one on the street at a light and do a quick burnout?!?! Being that they only work well with a burnout, something that is mainly done at the track, why not go with slicks and then just have street tires on with high mileage all other times!!!

Jason

well I run my bfg's on the street but i run a set of MT Drags (28x10.5x15) at the track

Originally posted by GNFURY
JUST LIKE IT SAYS. MINE ARE ON THE WAY, HOW GOOD ARE THESE THINGS?

I KNOW.............WITH NO BURNOUT OR LOW AIR PRESSURE, I'LL JUMP YOU OUT OF THE GATE BY TWO CARS EVERY TIME ON MY 16" STREET TIRES. ;) ........AND THEY ONLY COST $95 EACH. :p

Originally posted by V8KILLR
What are you going to do, pull up to some one on the street at a light and do a quick burnout?

I don't know about Maryland, but here in Miami, thats the only way of saying "It's on." I lost count of how many times I've had someone BEHIND ME warming them up. Yes, I said BEHIND me at a light, doing a burnout. It's crazy when the nearest track is 150 miles away.

:D
:cool:

Drag Radials on highway...

With all thats being said these new Nittos Have Got To Be Better than these BGC Drag radials that like to sway the cars rear end at highway speeds...keeps me awake on the way to moroso in west palm...Oh and I hope I STILL get to leave 2 Black lines on the highway when I punch it at 70!