How hot do you think the turbo shield and compressor side get?

Project TNX

I'm back into full work mode, I have a plethora of work to do and finishing up my Turbo Shield is one of them.

My current one looks great, it's ceramic covered, but I want to get the "TNX" one I am making powdercoated White Aluminum to match the rest of my engine, same with the compressor side of the turbo. I don't want to waste my money if it's just going to cook off though. I know I have seen powder coated shields before, but they may have been for high heat where the white aluminum one I got is just a standard rated powdercoat. I think I recall my powder coater saying that if it's under 500* I should be fine, but I can't remember.

No updates because I didn't do squat to it all winter, but here it is as it sits this morning.

tnx5_7_2008.jpg

tnx_5_7_sideng.jpg

tnx_5_7_engine.jpg

The T-shield I am working, it's long work because I am using small files and it lets out a shriek that will curl your toes every time you pull back, my wife won't let me work on it in the basement anymore, lol, it's really hard on the ears.

tnxcut1.jpg

tnxcut3.jpg

Obligatory interior and engine shot

seatsinstalled.jpg

zr1son.jpg

Who needs and MAF? lol

testfit004drivers.jpg

Hot enough to take hickies off your neck

Hoy enough to give you 2nd degree burn and 3rd degree if you don't pull away. This friend and co worker of mine went out and got drunk and some gal gave him a couple hickies. One was good size the other small but noticeable..He didn't want to go home his wife she would have killed him or kicked him out. So I told him I have an idea lets go out to my GN and let me warm her up. We can tell your wife you were helping me with the exhaust system and a hot muffler fell down across your neck.

Well I tell him just hold that side of your neck for a second on that hot turbo. So me and 2 other co workers are watching him..So he going down and trying to put his neck on there he tried about 3 x's and would just chicken out. The 4th time he bent over and put his neck next to the turbo I pushed his head down and held his neck down and said come on you wimp do it right and I then let him up.

The other coworkers who witnessed this couldn't believe I held his head down and they were rolling laughing. Steve was jumpin around saying you mofo. Well the big hickie was gone and nothin but a bubbled up/blistere 2nd degree burn remained that must of hurt like a son of a gun. Told him that's the price you pay for cheatin.

Well he still had a small hickie . He didn't want me to hold his head down, and he was still callin me names. So I took a hemostat laid it on the hot turbo took it and put it on his neck you could hear it sizzle. Well those turbos get hot enough to get rid of hickies. He still has scars to this DAY.

He went home to his old lady no problems if she was suspicious she didn't think he's be stupid enough to burn em off. Every now and then the guys at work bring it up abd we just laugh it was spontaneous did what I had to do.

Hoy enough to give you 2nd degree burn and 3rd degree if you don't pull away. This friend and co worker of mine went out and got drunk and some gal gave him a couple hickies. One was good size the other small but noticeable..He didn't want to go home his wife she would have killed him or kicked him out. So I told him I have an idea lets go out to my GN and let me warm her up. We can tell your wife you were helping me with the exhaust system and a hot muffler fell down across your neck.

Well I tell him just hold that side of your neck for a second on that hot turbo. So me and 2 other co workers are watching him..So he going down and trying to put his neck on there he tried about 3 x's and would just chicken out. The 4th time he bent over and put his neck next to the turbo I pushed his head down and held his neck down and said come on you wimp do it right and I then let him up.

The other coworkers who witnessed this couldn't believe I held his head down and they were rolling laughing. Steve was jumpin around saying you mofo. Well the big hickie was gone and nothin but a bubbled up/blistere 2nd degree burn remained that must of hurt like a son of a gun. Told him that's the price you pay for cheatin.

Well he still had a small hickie . He didn't want me to hold his head down, and he was still callin me names. So I took a hemostat laid it on the hot turbo took it and put it on his neck you could hear it sizzle. Well those turbos get hot enough to get rid of hickies. He still has scars to this DAY.

He went home to his old lady no problems if she was suspicious she didn't think he's be stupid enough to burn em off. Every now and then the guys at work bring it up abd we just laugh it was spontaneous did what I had to do.

Hahahahah, LMFAO:eek:

:biggrin: That is crazy, LOL. Now I just need to ask my powdercoater if a part hot enough to burn off a hickie will burn off the powdercoat. :tongue:

The exhaust gas going to your turbo is something in excess of 1200 to 1600 degrees F. So- it gets pretty toasty up there. I know power-coat won't get it. If what you have on your headers works, it'll work on the turbo shield too. A good ceramic, or Jet-Hot(but they don't have white).

The exhaust gas going to your turbo is something in excess of 1200 to 1600 degrees F. So- it gets pretty toasty up there. I don't think powercoat will get it. If what you have on your headers works, it'll work on the turbo shield too. A good ceramic, or Jet-Hot(but they don't have white).

Yeah, the one I have on it now is ceramic, but the one I am making I want painted to match the engine. I guess I'll just do it and if it fails I'll sand blast it and ceramic it. That or I'll reserve the painted one for shows and cruises, not that I have ever entered one.

Ceramic when sprayed on is by default is a dull white, it's not till it's polished that it turns silver in color. Not sure if it could stay white though. They also have gloss black or dull black ceramic coatings as well. The chrome/ sliver coats hold up to 1300 degrees the black is like 2000 I think. I know of an excellent coater who could get you more info but it's not cheap PM me if you have questions.

Regular high temp might survive on the shield but will be gone in a few runs on the exhaust housing.

I sprayed mine with body matching Duplacolor, baked in the oven and let cure real good.... 500 miles on car since re-install and no issues.......yet

Yes they do make white ceramic coating......:)

White powdercoat will yellow with the extended time w heat.

All the silver is ceramic and the blue is powder.
Most ceramic material is running about 400$ to 500$ per gal delivered.

Attachments

• PCTurbo.jpg
    PCTurbo.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 227
All the silver is ceramic and the blue is powder.
Most ceramic material is running about 400$ to 500$ per gal delivered.

Wow, that looks really sharp.
What would that cost?

Its not bad if you disassemble and ship.
I keep a lot of material in stock.

This one is a test to see how the powder holds up on the
cold side and bracket. The center section and exhaust housing is one type of ceramic and the Dp is another. For testing

rmar

RMAR that is really Trick great lookin accent nice and clean detailing and not over done. What's the name of that color blue you coated the turbo compressor and bracket with??, it's almost the same color blue as our Hydroboost. Don't want to overkill our GN's engine bay with color but doing the turbo and gettin some similar wires would bring our detailing together...What did it set you back just to coat the turbo and bracket? What brand of wires are those?

Wires are Taylor 409.
The blue was made for me candy. So I could lighten or
darken with diff base.. What you see is just over the aluminum. I've got to match up a few hoses and lines yet.

Oh and price.. Click on my link. It don't cost me much..

Wow

You have a quite a large Operation. Looks like a section of your operation is automated very high tech and clean. The place is huge how many square feet does your operation occupy? rmar it don't cost you much when you own the joint so you have those kind of perks. lol... What is turn around time if there are no large commercial job requests ahead of my little job request? Was thinking of also having rear drums done as well. Hmmm. guess best way to get estimate on job cost would be to contact you directly thru your company's e-mail or could you pm me that info. TIA

Thanks for the info guys, I think I misworded my post a little.

Turbo shield and "Cold side" will be powdercoated "white aluminum" to match the rest of the engine. The Downpipe, headers, and "hotside" will remain as is, which is ceramic.

testfit001.jpg

engineupdatedrivers.jpg

engineupdate1pass.jpg

Coming Soon......
1emblempic.jpg

emblemstogether.jpg

TNX,
If you have problems with the powder burning you could have your
coater put a thermal barrier on the bottom side and then powder the top.....:smile: