how hard is it to remove the dash?

5ltretr

is it a major undertaking or something that can be done in a small amount of time 1hr or less?

I think the real problem comes with the wiring harness, there are quite a few 8mm bolts in very tight places that require quite a few turns to get them lose. Additionally if you decided to take it apart make sure you document where everything plugs into. I took photographs and probably would have been better off doing a tag system.

All in all I can't see it taking the shade tree mechanic more than two hours. The ventilation contorls are going to be a matter of disconnecting the actual slider for defrost, vs floor vs vent. Then there are two other vacum connections that slide off after you slide the c-like clips off. Be sure to retain those clips otherwise you will never get the proper seal and your ventilation system won't function properly.

One other hitch is the speedo cable, I think all you have to do is lift up on the spring clip and the cable will come lose. This took me a while to figure out, but once you know these things I would have to say technical difficulty is still about a 3 on scale of 1 - 10, Patience and attention are all that are required.

Taking it apart isn't the hard part - putting it back together and getting everything hooked back up properly is the trick! Not impossible, but not for a novice. :)

dash

i removed my dash and painted it black and bead blasted the firewall--i didnt find it that hard--the clips for the ac only fit one way and the harness is pretty straight forward -- a flexible shaft that fits in a cordless drill makes the hard to reach screws very easy to take out and to put back in---i took mine out in a few hours and put it back in about 3 hours after many hours of scrubbing and paint prep and paint--the only time consuming part was painting but it was all worth it to go from green dash to black--my 02 worth

it also depends which side. The driver side is alot easier. I tore mine apart in about an hour and together in about 30 min.

dash

i was under the impression it was a complete dash removal right to the firewall---thats what i did