How fast on stock brakes?

OneQuikSix

I know there are many variables involved, but I was hoping to get some feedback on how effectively the factory calipers and rotors stop the car during breaking immediately after a quarter-mile pass at the racetrack. I've got vacuum brakes at the moment. My car isn't ready to set any land-speed records or anything...I just want to make sure I can stop the car after a pass without locking up the front tires. I only ask because my combination has the potential to trap some decent mph compared to a stocker. I realize anything will be an improvement over the stock brakes. But, if I race at Reynolds where there is supposedly a 3000 foot slow-down area, will my stock brakes be up to the challenge? 3000 feet sounds like a long way!

The stock brakes will work up to a point, but will heat up quickly at higher than 80-90 mph. Then they will need to cool down. If you decide to go with bigger brakes then you have a better chance of stopping after you get going faster. I've actually had the brake fluid boil from brake heat on one of my cars when I went over 120, but I was road racing. It does give you a pucker factor of 10 when you realize that you have to wait until you can slow down enough to stop. Before you go on a "bonzai" run make sure you've got fresh brake fluid in the system and flush it once a year.:)

Thanks for the replies guys. If I was constantly on and off the brakes (as in road racing) I would definitely upgrade. However, my brakes should have plenty of time to cool off between passes.

Couple of things make sure you replace the rubber brake hoses yes change out the brake fluid. I use the synthetic fluid a bit higher boiling point but Im using my powermaster. I replaced my rubber hoses with the braided hose kit from Russel and it made a great deal of improvement on the tightness of the pedal.

i will be upgrading to the bigger LS rotors 12.25 "I think" or the vette rotors 13" "i think" i always hatted my stock G-body brakes.

S-10 rear wheel cylinders...aluminum rear drums for heat dissipation...all long rear shoes...Russell braided lines to replace the 3 stockers...rear brakes adjusted guitar string tight...fresh fluid...stops on a dime with vacuum brakes.

IMAG0067.jpg

Stock brakes dont stand up to back to back 120 plus runs real well. Of course weight plays a part in this as well my car is 3560 with me in it and gas. This happened playing on a back road with some fast LS stuff 3 runs over 120 with maybe 3 minutes between hits.

Make sure you have a clamp on the vacuum line! Lose vacuum to the booster the brake pedal gets rock hard and that long shutdown area gets REAL short!

Stock brakes.. SS lines. S 10 whl cly .. 138+ Car is a driver with a good Powermonster :cool:

Thanks for your replies everyone. I've already got my hands on most of the stuff to convert my front brakes to the f-body setup. I just haven't yet bought the hubs and caliper brackets. Eventually, I'll make the switch. I just wasn't sure how realistic my expectations of stopping my car above 120 mph with the stock stuff were.