How do I prevent KR during the burnout?

F

Fred 86 GN

When I tried to "John Force" a burnout at the dragstrip yesterday my audible knock detector went off in a big way. The ScanMaster showed ove 17 degrees of knock. I suppose this is the infamous "tire spin knock". Should I be concerned about spitting out a headgasket from this type of knock event?

Thanks,

This is right where 90% of motors are hurt:eek: Keep the RPM's down, and ease into it.. It doesn't take much to break them loose.. Dont just go up to the light hold the break and smash it.:D

I just watch the boost gauge during the burnout.....I'll only run it up to 5-6# during the burnout, then release the line-lock and let it ease forward til the tires grab. Then prestage.....bring up a little boost...light the stage beam....as the lights come down, mat the gas and off the brakes....let the fun commence...:D

Originally posted by NoNos38
This is right where 90% of motors are hurt:eek: Keep the RPM's down, and ease into it.. It doesn't take much to break them loose.. Dont just go up to the light hold the break and smash it.:D

What happens to the motor??? Does it over rev or something???

as long as you keep the rpm down, all that knock is just mechanical noise and won't hurt a thing...keep the r's under 4,000 and let the trans shift (do not use low)

The worst thing you can do is "ease" into a burnout. You want to get the tires spinning as soon as possible, not "churn" them. This unloads the driveline, resulting in the least stress. FOR THIS ONE CIRCUMSTANCE, TRACTION IS YOUR ENEMY!

Like Woody pointed out, just watch the RPMs.

Along the same topic, I am making my first ever runs tonight and was told I shouldn't even bother doing a burnout with radial tires. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by bwallace
Along the same topic, I am making my first ever runs tonight and was told I shouldn't even bother doing a burnout with radial tires. Any thoughts? [/QUOTE
Stay out of the WATER, drive around it . Water and street radials do not mix. After a few passes you may try a lite spinning of the tires to clean them if you are up to it . But stay out of the WATER!