How did we survive?

3TURBOS

This was sent to me as an "chain" email and thought I would share it.

Refreshingly different!
>
>My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same
cutting
>board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get
food
>poisoning.
>
>My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter but I can't
remember
>getting E-coli.
>
>We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or
cabinets, and
when
>we rode our bikes we had no helmets.
>
>We played with toy guns, cowboys and Indians, army, cops and
robbers,
and
>used our fingers to simulate guns when the toy ones or my BB gun
was
not
>available.
>
>Some students weren't as smart as others or didn't work hard so
they
failed
>a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. That
generation
>produced some of the greatest risk-takers and problem solvers. We
had
the
>freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how
to
deal
>with it all.
>
>We all took gym, not PE ...
>
>
>Every year, someone taught the whole school a lesson by running
in the

>halls with leather soles on linoleum tile and hitting the wet
spot.
How
>much better off would we be today if we only knew we could have
sued
the
>school system.
>
>Speaking of school, we all said prayers and the pledge and stayed
in
>detention after school and caught all sorts of negative attention
for
the
>next two weeks. We must have had horribly damaged psyches.
>
>I can't understand it. Schools didn't offer 14 year olds an
abortion
or
>condoms (we wouldn't have known what either was anyway) but they
did
give
>us a couple of aspirin and cough syrup if we started getting the
sniffles.
>
>What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses?
Ours
>wore a hat and white hose and shoes, and everything.
>
>I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was
allowed
>to be proud of myself.
>
>We played king of the hill on piles of gravel left on vacant
construction
>sites and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48 cent bottle of
>mercurochrome and then we got our butt spanked. Now it's a trip
to the

>emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of
antibiotics
>and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving
a
>horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.
>
>We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we
did, we
got
>our butt spanked (physical abuse) ... and then we got our butt
spanked

>again when we got home.
>
>
>Summers were spent behind the push lawnmower and I didn't even
know
that
>mowers came with motors until I was 13 and we got one without an
automatic
>blade-stop or an auto-drive. How sick were my parents?
>
>Of course my parents weren't the only psychos. I recall Donny
Reynolds
from
>next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop just
before
>he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our
house.
>Instead she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof.
It
was a
>neighborhood run amuck.
>
>To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that
they
were
>from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known
that we

>needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We
were

>obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even
notice
>that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!
>How did we survive??

That was an incredible piece of writing. It clearly states how great times were until the left-wingers destroyed America.

yep yep yep...
I STILL raise my kids that way!

AND - they are some of the best behaved children you'll ever meet.

Originally posted by zam70
yep yep yep...
I STILL raise my kids that way!

AND - they are some of the best behaved children you'll ever meet.

Good for you!!!

Remember when the neigborhood parents were allowed to light you up if you misbehaved when your parents werent around? God forbid if they later told your parents what went down then you had the pleasure of getting the hind parts warmed again.

Try that now with someone elses bratty kid and you'll find yourself thrown in jail, sued, or both.. :rolleyes:

Remember when you back talked the teacher and was sent to the pricipals office. That was the longest trip in the world. He didn't send you home. He busted your ass and sent you back to class to see if you could get it right.

Remember when it had to snow 4 or 5 inches to stop school.???

Raising 4 kids (now all grown), I wanted to avoid spanking as much as possible. After an incident at daycare, I took them home, sat them in the family room and they listened while I constructed an implement of terror (a large paddle with holes). All that cutting and drilling! Next, took the worst offender into his room and lined the others out in the hall with the door shut. Several whacks on his bed and he got the idea. Opened the door to find three others terrified that they were next. Never had to use it. Have to say I am proud of the young adults they have become.

Well written! I am getting married at the end of this year and I am looking for a home to move into but if I knew of a neighborhood or town that still abided by these rules my decision would be real easy. I miss the good old days where you were held accountable for your actions instead of claiming to be a victim all of the time. Hopefully the left-wingers take a hike sometime soon as I think a lot of us are sick of their BS theories and excuses.

anybody remember playing "smear the queer"?

how bout dodgeball?i think dodgeball should be an olympic sport:D

I think you'd have to at least be over the age of 35 to reply to this thread Terrance;) Thats they way things were. Left wingers had nothing to do with it. If anything those with the most money promote a life of ease and accessability. That, in my opinion is what gives those without the "preceived" right to label themselves as "Victim." I came from "If you want something work your derriere off for it" up bringing, you just don't see that anymore:( too many "Silver spoons" for my taste. I raise my two boys that way I raised, cept I'm alittle more lenient. Most of the stuff in 3Turbos post I lived thru. Some of it brought back good memories. Some brought back bad. For instance getting your rear smoked(literally) 3x with a milled (and modified for impact) flat half inch thick "Louisville Slugger" by either your Teacher, Principle or both thats Bad. Hows that for corrective action? Lol.

Geoff

Well said Rollin. I'm obviously over 35 (age but not in mind!). A lot of good ethics in days past but also a lot of wrong actions also, ie teachers beating kids at school. Not really left wingers, but some bad rules had to be changed; the pedulum just swung back to far. Now we are way too protective, too quick to litigate, and responsible for nothing. There seems to be less and less respect for our fellow humans as time goes on. Just hoping the pendulum starts to swing back to find a better balance.

Originally posted by Rollin
I think you'd have to at least be over the age of 35 to reply to this thread Terrance;) Thats they way things were. Left wingers had nothing to do with it. If anything those with the most money promote a life of ease and accessability. That, in my opinion is what gives those without the "preceived" right to label themselves as "Victim." I came from "If you want something work your derriere off for it" up bringing, you just don't see that anymore:( too many "Silver spoons" for my taste. I raise my two boys that way I raised, cept I'm alittle more lenient. Most of the stuff in 3Turbos post I lived thru. Some of it brought back good memories. Some brought back bad. For instance getting your rear smoked(literally) 3x with a milled (and modified for impact) flat half inch thick "Louisville Slugger" by either your Teacher, Principle or both thats Bad. Hows that for corrective action? Lol.

Geoff

Yeah, I'm only 30 but I have always studied history so I somewhat know how things used to be, even though I never personally saw it. How old are you? I always assumed you were about my age but now it appears you are older. You're right that liberals shouldn't be blamed for everything, but I hold them at least partially responsible for some of their actions. They are the ones who said don't spank your kids, take "God" off the Pledge and currency, etc. I won't get too into it with ya, because even though you're our only liberal moderator, I still enjoy your posts. :)