how are gn's on the reliability scale?

needcash

87 with soime mods like turbo, intercooler, comp stuff ect. putting around 400 or more hp.

dialy driver? not worth it unless you have time and money? find a good shop to look it over?

i might buy one here pretty soon but i dont have alot of extra spending cash

Been driving mine for 17 years.

Right now it's at the 400HP level and doing fine.

Well excepting the rusty brake line that exploded at 111mph yesterday but that was a minor problem. ;)

I would budget about $2K-$3K a year to maintain one but that's mostly due to impulse mod. buying and upgrades to the factory stuff. :)

At least $1K minimum for repairs that will pop up if you can't fix stuff yourself.

Only left me stranded once when I didn't grease the front end for 2 years and the tie rod end wore out and popped off. :eek:

I like the old car. :)

mines very reliable as long as i dont drive it. just kidding, i wouldnt hesitate to drive it to florida and back.:D

3k a year? that seems like alot to me. but i am only driving it in the summer so 5 mounths or so. (minnesota). i can do some work my self. but isnt alot of the problems computer related? what do you do then?

what are some other problems youve had?

Over 17 years and 151K miles I've replaced or rebuilt everything. :D

Mostly for performance not out of necessity in most cases.

Stock ECM worked fine for about 15 years, I bought a spare to take to the track that I modified for Direct Scan software, it too is fine. I think the ECM's are strong if you don't mess with them much. :)

Tranny held up fine for 140K miles with a cooler on it, only had a 2-3 flare problem which was minimal but I wanted a good light race rebuild. Cost there was $1400 with a billet servo and good clutches and R+R.

Rear is stock, swaybars boxed with bushings, Bilstein shocks, control arm bushings. Normal maintenance stuff with good parts used, rear end will most likely need a flush with new oil and posi-lube.

Like with any car if you like to fix stuff that is marginal or broken you can easily spend $3K on it in parts and labor.

It ain't a POS Camry you just drive until it won't go no more and ignore all the problems. ;)

Normal wear items need to be addressed and replaced for best performance.

I think there are tons of great parts out there to upgrade the car with even for daily driver use.

If you are serious about buying the car have someone experienced with the wear items on these cars go with you and you can perhaps negociate down the nagging repairs that cost money, such as exhaust system components like cracked headers and the control arm bushings, the headliner, water leaks, rust or anything that can put money back into your pocket for maintenance.

I would not buy a used one without a lot of spare parts or about $3K in extra cash to fix one up for daily use.

Just MHO. :)

I don't beat mine, but it is driven HARD alot of the time. I can't resist.:D My car sat in my garage on jack stands for over 12 years with 15k miles on it from the first two years or so of it's life. So it really hasn't been driven for very long but the age of all the mechanics is there. It had a few bad sensors from the factory that were replaced within the first couple weeks. Since I have driven it in the past 4 yrs. I have had 2 mass airs crap out, the transmission clutches go out at 40k miles( but the car was running down the 1/4 damn near everyday), tires lots and lots of tires and brakes.

Other than that I can't remember having to replace anything that wasn't being upgraded. Overall it's been a great reliable vehicle.

I know of no other cars around here that can lay down the numbers mine does and be driven everywhere without breaking something. But, there are bad apples here and there.

My car is basically stock, except for a chip...I have 160,000 and has been the most reliable car I have ever owned....They do have their issues, windows, weak tranny, which money can fix, parts are just getting a little hard to find......get a EBAY account.....

I'm well over 400hp and I'm not afraid to drive mine anywhere. Been to Qweens NY and back in one day. (500 miles) Most are very reliable provided you drive with your brain plugged in.

They are as reliable as any car.
The secret is maintenance. You've got to remember, these are OLD cars now. First thing I did when I bought mine was replace EVERY sensor, EVERY bushing (suspension and body), ALL fuses, ALL fluids vacuum lines and plugs & wires...basically, the typical things that will go bad with age. It helps avoid being plaqued with problem after problem.
Alot of people have constant problems because they've failed to freshen up an old worn car. Do the maintenance, it'll run like a top for a very long time.

If you do all the labor your self, I'd guess $500.00 +/-.
Piece of mind is priceless though...

Originally posted by zam70
They are as reliable as any car.
The secret is maintenance. You've got to remember, these are OLD cars now. First thing I did when I bought mine was replace EVERY sensor, EVERY bushing (suspension and body), ALL fuses, ALL fluids vacuum lines and plugs & wires...basically, the typical things that will go bad with age. It helps avoid being plaqued with problem after problem.
Alot of people have constant problems because they've failed to freshen up an old worn car. Do the maintenance, it'll run like a top for a very long time.

Well said. I did that to my 154k TT. So far it's never let me down.

Originally posted by needcash
so i cant type decent... shoot me

i got dibs!!!

but seriously if you are what so ever mechanically inclined you will be fine with one of these cars. when you first pop the hood your eyes may pop out of your head when you look at all the wires and vacuum lines and oil lines and what not running around the engine compartment.. but once you start fiddling with the car, you see that its actually be pretty simple, and wont look so bad. thats what happened to me, with mine, i was scared to even pop the hood when i first got it... but now thanks to this board and gnttype.org i am not afraid to do anything on the car my self.. for the most part, the only thing i dont want to try is the A/C... hell i even just built my own tranny, i am going to throw it in tomorrow and hope it works!

as for changing every bushing and sensor, if you have the time and have a long fuse, i would do it in a heard beat, i need to do it eventually (bushings) but i can afford to have too much down time with my car. you might want to do the sensor thing though if you can first, because sensors for these cars are getting some what hard to find. like the MAF, i forgot the exact price, but i know they arent cheap or easy to come by.

but, like i said, if you are mechanically inclined, you will be fine with one of these cars, and when you have a problem come here, ask and some one will come up with an answer fast... for the most part. and if you wanna know pretty much anything at all about the cars, just head on over to www.gnttype.org you can learn almost anything about these cars there.

and a board member named Bandit has the buick service manuals for the car, just make sure you are kind enough to leave him a donation. ;)

good luck

-Neil

I personally wouldn't fix anything that was factory installed and not broken.

There will be plenty of that stuff to fix first. ;)

Inventory of spare parts you need to own with these cars is as follows:

Spare coil pack and module assy. $125 or so. Used from Red Regal T

MAF sensor from GM About $250

Crank sensor GM

O2 sensor GM

Hoses and a spare drive belt

TPS sensor

Cam sensor about $150 now.

Wastegate solenoid GM

Prolly a few other parts you should have around but that should keep you running a while.

I don't touch anything until it stops working. :)

I've had mine for almost 13 years, and here's what has actually "had" to be repaired/replaced, done a lot of performance mods but those weren't necessities:
1) Rear main seal leak (stock one is a cheap rope type seal)
2) Power Master brake motor went out when still under warranty
3) Altenator
4) Battery

gn hot rods

Gentlemen:
What we are dealing with is the baddest car built in the 80s. Sure, there have been a few quicker since then, but the turbo Regals have a reputation that few will fault, anytime soon. I'm proud to hold one of these bad boys!
Dale