How about a speedometer bottom bezel for a Scanmaster?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
I know TR custom parts sells the custom pieces for the bottom of the speedometer that are upgraded for when you want to use the stock boost gauge at higher pressures than 15 psi. And I believe someone from Full Throttle was the designer of the Scanmaster...???

Since the stock boost gauge is known to be inaccurate, what if a bottom panel were made to accommodate a Scanmaster LED assembly?

The black plastic box could be omitted, the LED board inserted into the bottom piece...the buttons on the Scanmaster would have to be longer to be able to slip thru the Plexiglas....and the circuit board would have to be secured.....but overall it would be a slick feature inside the dash of the car instead of sitting on top of the dash.

Any reason why this couldn't be feasible?

I think there would be.

I recently opened up my Scanmaster to install the 2.2 chip for the powerlogger. It's just a flat LED panel and a circuit board.

Only issue I can see at this point is the buttons on the Scanmaster wouldn't be long enough but I'm sure they could be made longer. Also the Plexiglas would require the 2 holes for the buttons to feed thru.

I've had this idea as well. I haven't gotten around to doing it but I've already opened up the scanmaster to get an idea on changing the face plate from a red one to a blue one. My plan is the remove the factory boost gauge and tach and insert it in that area. I wonder if someone could work something out with dakota digital since they already make a digital guage cluster for our cars. Maybe have them make some with the scanmaster already built into the piece they sell now.

It sounds great, but no company is going to do this. To tool up what would need modified, it would be too expensive for the amount that would sell. Not everyone with a Scanmaster would want this, so the market is even smaller. It would take one of our vendors to tackle this with a small shop and see if something could be fabbed up. It would be way easier to do with a GNX dash. To mod the factory dash...I would need to tear one apart and see.

:biggrin:

I've had this idea as well. I haven't gotten around to doing it but I've already opened up the scanmaster to get an idea on changing the face plate from a red one to a blue one. My plan is the remove the factory boost gauge and tach and insert it in that area. I wonder if someone could work something out with dakota digital since they already make a digital guage cluster for our cars. Maybe have them make some with the scanmaster already built into the piece they sell now.

Any luck going to blue?

Still working on it. Right now all I can find is blue 1/8" acrylic plate or 1/16" clear plate. The faceplate on the scanmaster is 1/16" thick. So it's either get the clear plate and paint or get the 1/8" and modify. I think I'm gonna start with the 1/8 blue plate cause if it works it should look cleaner than if I have to paint it. If that doesn't work then plan B will be in effect.

Still working on it. Right now all I can find is blue 1/8" acrylic plate or 1/16" clear plate. The faceplate on the scanmaster is 1/16" thick. So it's either get the clear plate and paint or get the 1/8" and modify. I think I'm gonna start with the 1/8 blue plate cause if it works it should look cleaner than if I have to paint it. If that doesn't work then plan B will be in effect.

Your forgetting your most obvious place to look. Go to a sign shop that makes vinyl graphics. They should have transparent blue vinyl that you can put over the 1/16 clear. Its almost like window tint. Then you have what you want. Put it on the backside of the plate. It will look factory then.

Your forgetting your most obvious place to look. Go to a sign shop that makes vinyl graphics. They should have transparent blue vinyl that you can put over the 1/16 clear. Its almost like window tint. Then you have what you want. Put it on the backside of the plate. It will look factory then.

HAHA So i posted that had to run to the post office and grab dinner. On the way I just keep mulling this over in my head and how I can make this work. Then it hit me to go my tint guy who does vinyl graphics also. I had already planned to have him do the lettering after i got the plate done but for some reason never thought of laying a blue tint down til now. Then I get home look on here and read you post. You must have sent that to me telepathically through all this snow. I'm gonna stop down to see him tomorrow but I'm gonna order the acrylite now. I'll post back when it's finished.

Ya I knew that's how it would end up but with the blue gauges that are going in the car the blue filter will atleast tone down the bright red, be blue when not lit up, and will be the only scanmaster with a blue face.:)

So I talked to my tint and vinyl guy and he said tinting and doing the lettering to make the faceplate appear stock but in a different color isn't a problem. So just as soon as the plates arrive I'll have him make one up. In order to get the one plate I wanted cut I had to have 3 more plates made also. So after mine gets done i'll post some pics and if anyone is interested in having one of the other pieces made up in a custom color let me know. hopefully soon after that I'll have some progress on the main point of this thread by getting it incorporated in my dash.

Ok so the acrylite pieces finally came in and of course they're about 1/32 too thick and 1/32 too tall soo some adjustments were made. After the trimming this is what I came up with.
0126010437.jpg

This is what it looks liks with power.
0126010435.jpg

Now since the LED's are a bright red I'm going to go with a darker blue. Once My tint and vinyl guy gets done with the piece I'll post up some finished photos.

this was what I was going to do but then I got thinking I dont use the scanmaster unless Im tuning so Ill just stick itin the glove box and if I need it plug it in and stick it to the dash pad. This is a photoshop pic never made it for real.

to exstend the buttons find the smallest gromit you can from lowes or some place use them in the plexi glass cover and get to old school clicky pens push the clicker out of the pen and stick them in the gromet holes above the scanmaster buttons and they should work nicly for the exstentions.

this was what I was going to do but then I got thinking I dont use the scanmaster unless Im tuning so Ill just stick itin the glove box and if I need it plug it in and stick it to the dash pad. This is a photoshop pic never made it for real.

to exstend the buttons find the smallest gromit you can from lowes or some place use them in the plexi glass cover and get to old school clicky pens push the clicker out of the pen and stick them in the gromet holes above the scanmaster buttons and they should work nicly for the exstentions.

How do you only use your Scanmaster for "tuning"? Everytime I nail my car just screwing around on the street, I look at it to see knock. That is what it is for. If you only have it for tuning then you are only watching your O2'S and once they are correct, you unhook it? What if the temp falls 25 degrees at night? In the fall weather in Pa, I can run all day with 770-780 O2's at 26 psi, but if the temp falls 20 degrees at night...my O2's will fall to 730 or lower and boost can peak at close to 30psi. I wouldnt know this if my Scanmaster was un-plugged. Do you use anything else for knock?

hmmm.. I think it wouldn't be a good thing with the scanmaster hidden in the dash.. Yes we keep our eyes on it . :confused:

Finally found the darn pic of my dash so I could post. I made this "Mission Control" set-up. When you are eyes straight, going down the track, you dont have time to scan your interior for gauges. These are directly in front of me. ALKY, Scanmaster, Boost, and Fuel Pressure. Shift light comes on and you see it, so no need to look at tach. All gauges are tilted so when you are at full throttle, all needles should be straight up...if not, GET OUT OF IT!!!

For the record, my odometer is correct. Someone said they didnt believe my sig.

Coach

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 245
For the record, my odometer is correct. Someone said they didnt believe my sig.

Coach

Don't take it personnally...nobody believes your sig:biggrin::biggrin:

And take 20 minutes to clean off that workbench! It's pigsty for cripes sake!!:eek: