Houston Hybrid

87ina49

Went looking for an Olds Rocket 88 and came home with something a little different. It's a Rocket alright, a 1949 Club Coupe but its sitting on a meth injected '87 Grand National. I'd call myself old-muscle schooled so I think I bit off a little more than I can chew. I'll panic after I get this smile off my face.

I'd like to take it somewhere in Houston to get a baseline dyno and see what I really brought home. Anybody have any recommendations?

Cool car. Do a search for slimtastic and PM him. I believe he's got a dyno at the shop he works at.:)

If it is a stock engine and turbo with meth, I am going to say 300HP. Looks like a BA car!

Grumpy: Don't know yet how heavy. Just got it off the truck night before last. Original, this 88 would have weighed in around 3,500 so I'm "guessing" it hasn't changed that much (modern/lighter materials but more of them). Lots to figure out.

ZNix: Not stock. Long list of mods but who knows how it'll add up. A fellow named Jack Pendzimas from Minnesota built the car. A little internet research shows he is/was a well-respected member of the Buick racing community. Looks like he once had an '86 T-Type running in the 8s. My guess is that this hybrid was his pet project after his hardcore days were over. This hybrid appears to have run 11s. A physical inspection of the car shows that a lot of care went into the build. Devil's in the details.

SuperSix: I was about to ask how you found that video but then I remembered a little thing called Google. Thanks for the find.

jpratt: Cost? Suffice it to say that my budget to find a finely restored '49/'50 Club Coupe covered it (not trying to be evasive, just not sure of forum etiquette yet). My classic car buddies all say I overpaid for a bastardized Olds. My racing buddies all say that I couldn't have come close to building the car for what I paid for it. Doesn't really matter either way, I'm totally happy.

Give us the details on that motor! I am very curious :D.

Zack

From the ad:
1987 Buick Grand National engine
forged pistons .30 over
Comp cam-roller cam 210-210
block, crank, rods cryogenically frozen for strength
steel main caps
larger oil pump
stock ignition
ported stock throttle body
methanol injection
Heads- ported Champion-stainless valves
Ported stock intake
60# injectors
hand built custom intercooler
stainless exhaust
T E 61 turbo
3200 stall 9" convertor lockup
200-R4 modified transmission
Rear-end
Trac-lock Richmond gear mfg 3:42 gears
11" shoes from 1985 Buick wagon
1987 Buick Grand National frame, suspension, steering
1998 Trans-am sway bar
street chip and performance chip for computer
(unplug computer when changing chip)
TCL-torque converter lock-up for drag racing
electric fan 178-210 degrees
Fluke 52 hook-up for monitoring air intake temp, exhaust temp
(2 wire, under pass side of dash)
DO NOT RUN ENGINE WITHOUT METHANOL INJECTION OR DAMAGE WILL RESULT
Use 93 octane fuel

My classic car buddies all say I overpaid for a bastardized Olds. My racing buddies all say that I couldn't have come close to building the car for what I paid for it. Doesn't really matter either way, I'm totally happy.

bottom line is its worth whatever someone will pay for it !! I like "different" cars like this. Good Luck with it.. Nice sleeper !!

Attachments

• 100_1787.jpg
    100_1787.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 89
bottom line is its worth whatever someone will pay for it !! I like "different" cars like this. Good Luck with it.. Nice sleeper !!

I have to come see these cars some day Grumpy. They are really cool and different. This 88 is insanely cool too.

Of course Dan's always liked different beasts.:eek::rolleyes::biggrin:

Attachments

• sexysheep.jpg
    sexysheep.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 67