Hot rod grand national build up

BOP4ever

Anyone read the fix up by Whites in this months Hot Rod? What did you think about it ? 360 Rwhp for only ...........6000.00 bucks worth of mods.

I just read it. Am looking to do several of these things to mine, especially the FAST XFI. This article really hit the mark I think, at least for me.
John

No it was a nice 46k mile car and those were just the parts cost added to it... Throttle body, hemco plenum, fast conv, 58mm turbo, injectors , fuel pump, maybe a few other things I forget .

I figure I got about 2500 in mine though not counting transmission ...I'd guess similar power levels, ran 12.4@110 at track
These are expensive cars to mod...

Just saw this article this morning too. The one thing that stood out to me was White made the comment that you should never put the air filter directly on the MAF and there should always be a straight section of pipe between the filter and MAF. I've never heard this before and thought most guys just had the filter on the MAF, I do. Any merit to that? And if so, is it as simple as just slipping a 3 or 4" straight section in between? Seemed a bit odd to me.

I would guess the thinking there is that turbulence in the MAF will throw off readings so the straight section may provide more laminar flow. Probably affects idle more than anything especially if both MAF screens have been removed.

I haven't read this article yet but doesn't the FAST system do away with the factory MAF?

Seems like a lot of expensive and unnecessary parts at that level. Good to see an article about our cars though.

I would guess the thinking there is that turbulence in the MAF will throw off readings so the straight section may provide more laminar flow. Probably affects idle more than anything especially if both MAF screens have been removed.

I haven't read this article yet but doesn't the FAST system do away with the factory MAF?

Yeah they went to speed density.

Other than making the 3.8 look lame .... I mean a junkyard lsx swap would cost just a bit more and would have made 200 more hp if they did that in the same mag ....lol

I went and picked up a copy of this magazine and all I can say is wow. They installed 6800 worth of stuff on a basically stock car under the premise of reliability and even the shop thought that it needed valve springs and possibly had a cam going bad (not replaced). I sure hope it doesn't go south on the owner. At least they got a new turbo and a FAST out of it.

Lastly, did anyone else catch that they screwed a 3 bar map sensor through the wheel well right next to the 2 bar map on the fender saying that the 2 bar was needed for the factory boost gauge... A closer look will show you there isn't even a vacuum hose going to the 2 bar map anyways.

Last edited:
$6800 to make 360 horse is absolutely ridiculous.

I couldn't agree more, I think that power level could have been achieved through other means of bolt on mods, IMHO XFI is great if your making serious horsepower but again in my opinion it's a waste on a car with street level power. The money could have been put to better use, valves springs and a cam would have been a good start. As far as the MAF and pipes etc, I run mine with filter directly on MAF, had the other way previously and saw and felt no change whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They slam the power plate pretty hard as well. Seems like a MAF translator would have helped more but if you can sell a whole new engine management system...

They slam the power plate pretty hard as well. Seems like a MAF translator would have helped more but if you can sell a whole new engine management system...

Yeah, they sure didn't pull any punches when talking about the power plate. I can see why that type of part is a bit controversial but there is plenty of data on the RJC site as well as other locations that support that the power plate works. I was able to add two more degrees of timing in third on my stock motor by adding one.

Thats what you get when you give a grand national to a bunch of small block Chevy guys. :ROFLMAO:

They should have found one of the heavy hitters from the Turbo Buick world. They would have gotten better results IMO.

RIck

thats 360 hp to the rear wheels, thats 460+ to the flywheel!
over $4200 was just XFI and turbo!