Hot Air Tuning With Alky Control

Jonmrc69

Hi,
I've just hooked up my Alky kit to my '85. It's a stock block with 80k, pulled motor and trans over winter, all new gaskets, heads ported and worked, intake some porting, Translator MAF, Scanmaster, and all the usual supporting stuff- Hot wire, 42# injectors, new stock cam, timing chain.

So this is my first turbo, and my first attempt at tuning. With all the stock settings (MAF, TT 94 chip, Razor's Alky) my O2 is about 830 at idle, and leans out to mid-to-high 700's during test runs. I am NOT on a track, so hard to get top of 3rd readings.

Also, running 91 ethanol free, may also try 93 ethanol.

If I hit it hard from start I have a couple lights on the Casper's knock gauge, usually nothing on the Scamaster. If I stomp on it, I get yellow or red knock on Caspers, and once in a while some knock (like 2 or less) on Scanmaster.

If I ease into it, I don't seem to get any knock. And I NEVER have seen knock after the initial boost, no matter how long I hold the pedal. (mind you if I see a LOT of knock I do lift momentarily...). I have seen one or two lights during shifting though....

So is this real knock? Or does real knock only show at the higher RPM's and later in the run?

I'd say I'm starting out a little rich (830+) so I wouldn't expect knock. But maybe I'm "lean" because of the low octane pump gas vs. the chip?

Should I turn the Alky kit down a little to come on earlier?

I'm pretty much following the "saucy Hot air" recipe and using vortexbuick's website for the tuning process. It actually seems that I need to go a little leaner on launch, but am obviously hesitant due to the knock gauge.

Thoughts guys? Thanks in advance.

get 5 gal of c16. Give it the boot. If it knocks it false,if it goes away its true. This is the same issue I had. If true KR you need to open everything up for better AF temps. Better DP, Intake, TB, etc...more fuel the better

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like a good test, thanks.

I did a test yesterday where I kept the boost just under 5 (so the ally turn on light stayed off) going uphill. The slight knock started and continued to register, so I now believe it is real.

I assume the only adjustments to make now are reduce the "turn on" adjustment on the PAC to under 4psi, or find better fuel for the gas tank. I don't have 94 around here, and I like the thoughts of ethanol-free, but it's only 91.

Sound right?

I did a test yesterday where I kept the boost just under 5 (so the ally turn on light stayed off) going uphill. The slight knock started and continued to register, so I now believe it is real.

I assume the only adjustments to make now are reduce the "turn on" adjustment on the PAC to under 4psi, or find better fuel for the gas tank. I don't have 94 around here, and I like the thoughts of ethanol-free, but it's only 91.

Sound right?

You are on the right track.. Set the turn on point point at little lower(alky kit) and test. Next would be raising the (alky kit

Sound right?

Yes. It sounds right. I have a print out of detailed tuning instructions from the owner of Alky control. It is an old thread not on here now or I cannot find it. PM me an e-mail address and I will send it. Brad