Horrible idle, misfire, backfire, smoking....

Welby

Had the car out the other day and it was running well, got into it a bit on the highway for 10 seconds or so and hit 24lb's of boost. No knock, was running strong. Everything seemed fine when I pulled into the driveway. After sitting a few hours while I raked leaves, I started the car to put it in the garage and it was (and still is) running really rough.
It's like it's not running on all the cylinders and sounds like I have a monster cam in it. The engine is shaking to the point that the whole car is vibrating as it sits, lol. It's smoking non-stop as well. I went to take it out last night and if I get onto the gas hardly at all it's backfiring and not building any boost, so I brought it home right away.
Pulled it out this morning and checked a few things. Nothing appears to have popped loose, the coolant and oil look fine (no milkshake or anything). the up-pipe has no oil in it whatsoever, it's dry as a bone (I assume that eliminates any skunked turbo issues?). Didn't pull the plugs, but they're brand new, only been in it a month or so (I know, that doesn't really mean anything though). I don't have a voltmeter to be able to check the wires and coil pack.
I'd like to think it's a plug wire, coil pack or MAF problem, but why would it be smoking so much? That's the part that I don't get, but I'd think if one or more cylinders isn't firing then that's just raw, unburned fuel being dumped through the exhaust, right? (Kind of talking to myself there...)
I have no idea how old the plug wires and coil pack are. I've had the car for three years (already?! :eek: ) and they were on it when I bought the car. How old they were to that point is a mystery. Would probably make sense to replace them first, eh?!
Doesn't seem like any major mechanical thing, but ya never knowing knowing my luck :rolleyes:

It's not white as if it's a head gasket thing, it's more of a pure gray with the slightest tint of blue... Stinks like all get out, it's running ultra rich and spewing clouds of stench :D

Pull the plugs. My guess is that they'll tell you something. Did you get any codes? Good luck.

Mike

Ha LOL well not funny sorry my car did the same thing MAF died, ig you got a scanmaster see what the signal is I bet its done.

I was thinking the MAF too! Also, check for vacuum leaks. I had a crossover flange bolt loose and the car ran horrible. BLM's were pegged. Once I tightened the bolts, car ran great!

My Thoughts..

This may not be it but are you running Direct Scan by chance, I have had and others I know have had terrible drivability Issues. Make sure you have a good shielded cable Sometimes thats the cause as well..

If a check engine light comes on - check the MAF code.

If not the MAF and its backfiring- check to make sure the cam sensor works. The roll pin holding the gear on the shaft to turn the oil pump and the cam sensor- that can break.

I have experienced both.

Sounds like when my MAF died a few months back. Slightest amount of throttle and the car would act like a rodeo bull.

i have this same problem!! I replaced the ignition module,coil pack,tps,computer,adjusted the cam sensor,new plugs,new plug wires,tried a different chip in the ecu,checked all grounds and even installed an extra from firewall to coil bracket.Car idles vary rough wont hardly even rev up blows black smoke..vary rich. sounds like the spark or injector timing is off.check engine light stays on from the time you turn the key on and wont flash if i try to check the codes.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! I need it!!!

Pull the spark plugs when you change out the MAF sensor and put a fresh set in, I fouled a plug last year and it was a real scare that I messed up the motor after a short burst into the throttle, here it was a fouled plug. Don't forget to pull the dip stick and smell it, chances are you have gas in the oil, drain the oil asap if you smell gas.
Hope this helps,

Chuck

its got all new plugs and unplugging the maf makes no difference.I think if its a mass problem the car would atleast idle fine after unplugging the maf?

If a check engine light comes on - check the MAF code.

If not the MAF and its backfiring- check to make sure the cam sensor works. The roll pin holding the gear on the shaft to turn the oil pump and the cam sensor- that can break.

I have experienced both.

I believe that this is in the right direction, check the cam sensor to make sure it is not loose inside also the roll pin at the oil pump gear.

Chuck

i just changed to cap today again with another i had and the ring is tight with no play and vary little up/down movement.

actually after readjusting the cam sensor and changing to another ignition module and coil pack and the new ecu its better at idle but when i go to rev it up it brakes up badly but atleast i can get some rpm out of it.