Hood shocks don't hold hood up

Take one of the old ones off and take it to local parts store like napa or carquest etc. They can take dimensions off your old one and get you a new set. They can even increase the weight rating if you want. I think the originals were a little weak anyway so when I replaced mine, I replaced them with a 10lb heavier lift.

I got mine at Pepboys and they were the exact same size and a bit stronger as mentioned above. Plus they have a lifetime warranty so I can bring them back when they crap out and get another set!

Thanx fellas I thought I saw O reillys or someone that sold them but wasn't sure.

I dunno if mine are original or not...anyone have a p/n of the originals? I'll check mine.

i got mine at Carquest. took all of 2 minutes for the guy to peck it into the computer and get them to me.
they looked identical to the then 20 year old originals, if that matters..

Strong Arm part # E4428 for a steel hood. E4491 for fiberglass and aluminum.

Got my E4428's from Advance Auto for under $20 each. They even held the hood up a few nights ago when it was 14-below zero.

I bought a set in 2001 from NAPA. They were too strong IMO - I was scared I might damage the hood when I pulled it down. Today, they are worn and won't hold it up.....time to get new one's somewhere else.

Strong Arm part # E4428 for a steel hood. E4491 for fiberglass and aluminum.

Got my E4428's from Advance Auto for under $20 each. They even held the hood up a few nights ago when it was 14-below zero.

Man I don't envy you northerners..... your weather sux in the winter. When the mercury drops below 20° F here.... people are opening up shelters so people don't freeze to death....

-14° is just too dang cold...

I try to buy things from Buick vendors like nos4gn whenever possible, even it's a few more bucks. I think it's critical that we keep them in business.

Don't throw the old ones away. Every time we sell a fiberglass hood, the buyer is looking for worn out stockers :) Believe it or not, you may be able to throw them in the parts for sale section

Don't throw the old ones away. Every time we sell a fiberglass hood, the buyer is looking for worn out stockers :) Believe it or not, you may be able to throw them in the parts for sale section

I will keep this in mind when I replace them. Thank you all for your replies.

would switching to a hood spring setup from a different G body in place of the struts be a viable option?
i'm pretty sure Malibus and ElCaminos had the springs- maybe even Monte Carlos- and they never wear out..

Hood Struts

Just my 2 cents...
I just replaced my hood struts and my hood because the struts were to strong.
The hood was bending (sheet metal ripping) where the struts bolt up to the hood.
I replaced the hood with another steel hood and purchased the hood struts for fiberglass hoods. They still hold the hood up at car shows and I can close the hood with 1 finger. I purchased the struts from Highwaystars.com. The best part is that I live close to Highway Stars and when I went in there to purchase, they showed my 2 different GN's 1 with stock struts and 1 with fiberglass struts.

Busyman
:cool: