Hood Problem

Paul Clark

It won't close. (It did last fall)
The hook will hook, but the latch won't latch.
I can push the center of it down flush, but the latch won't catch.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Got oil? I would spray it liberally with WD-40. Could it be stuck inside the cable? It also could need readjustment.

It's strange.
The cable works.
Can't figure out why I can push down on the hood until it fits flush, but nothing will latch exept for the hook.
Think I might have to idle it to a body shop and let them try to figure it out.
Open for suggestions, however.
Thanks

When it happened to me, it was because the welds had rusted that hold the bar in the nose of the hood - the thing the latch hooks on to.

I would at least try readjusting it. I would try lowering the catch plate about 1/8, and if that didn't show any improvement, I would try raising the catch plate about 1/8, and if nothing showed any indication of what is wrong, I would then take it to a shop, and a dealership might have some experience with fixing this also.

Use a phillips screwdriver in the latch to simulate the hood catch. See if you can work the latch to get it to hold the screwdriver. Oil as was mentioned is very much needed here. Be sure and push in on the inside hood release too; the cable itself may be binding and not letting the latch do it's job.

I think I might have found the problem.
Looking up at the underside of the hood, the latch assembly is held on with 2 bolts on the left side (passenger). On the drivers side there are 2 holes. I'm guessing those might be where there used to be a couple of spot welds. ??
They're not there anymore, so I think it's just letting the "latch rod" assembly move up on that side due to pressure from the spring. It can't hook.
Am I right, and if so how do I fix it?
Thanks

After looking at mine that sounds logical. If those spot welds broke loose you can just get it rewelded by anyone who knows what their doing with a welder

Thanks
Any chance of messing up the paint on the hood with the welds?
Also - the white plastic "nubbin" on the release cable is fubar.
Can you just get a replacement for it, or do I need a whole new cable?

Problem with welding is that the welds have probably rusted and the welder will have to just keep burning until the arc reaches good metal - I filled the entire edge with 316L and I did not hurt the paint.

Good Luck

What if I just drilled through the old welds and got some round head "nubbin" Allen bolts? Think I can get a nut on the top. Maybe even a couple of self-tappers?
Thanks