Hood pins

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
I recently installed a set of Hotchkis hood pins and thought I'd share the process I went through.

Hood pins are a safety item that should be installed on high mph race vehicles. The underhood pressure that builds at high mph can be too much for the simple attachment devices of some hoods, especially fiberglass hoods, and can lead to the hood opening or completely flying off the car at high speed. Not a good thing.
If the car is a race only car, use a hood pin design that will be easy for emergency personnel to unpin in case of an accident.

First thing to figure out, where to mount the hood pin.
I looked at available areas to mount the pins on the radiator support, then checked how different mounting locations on the radiator support would look with the pin through the hood, and if the support structure under the hood (fiberglass hood) would work with the pin location.
I found one spot on the radiator support that gave me good access to install the pin to the radiator support, went through a good spot of the underhood support structure, and was a good spot on the top of the hood for exterior appearance.

Attachments

• IMGP2156rs.jpg
    IMGP2156rs.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 685
I used a transfer punch to setup an alignment for the pin and carry the hole on through the bottom wall of the radiator support. Some pins that are not so long may not need the hole through the bottom wall.
Pay attention to the swing of the hood as it opens and closes if you are still using hood hinges. The pin alignment should match the swing of the hood so that the pin doesn't interfere with the pin hole in the hood as the hood is being opened or closed. This will also setup the process of determining where to start drilling the hole through the hood.

Attachments

• IMGP2157rs.jpg
    IMGP2157rs.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 667
  • IMGP2160rs.jpg
    IMGP2160rs.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 620
Next, I had to figure out a way to get the pin bottom nut and washer into the radiator support. Luckily, I had picked a mounting location that didn't give me much trouble being able to accomplish this task.

I drilled two holes side by side into the side of the radiator support where the pins were being mounted. Pick a drill bit size that is tall enough to fit the washer and nut through. I then cut the small wall between the holes. Then took a screwdriver and tapped and bent the walls into the support to leave a nice wide opening to get the washer and nut through. Also realize that the opening needs to be wide enough to get an open end wrench into to tighten the assembly, so the two holes you drill should be spaced accordingly. Mine wasn't wide enough and I had to grind an old wrench into a 'special tool' to fit into the opening.

Attachments

• IMGP2168rs.jpg
    IMGP2168rs.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 613
  • IMGP2169rs.jpg
    IMGP2169rs.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 570
  • IMGP2170rs.jpg
    IMGP2170rs.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 605
Pins installed into the radiator support.

A small dab of grease was put on the tip of the pin to mark on the hood where I would start drilling the hole through the hood.

Attachments

• IMGP2161rs.jpg
    IMGP2161rs.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 612
  • IMGP2165rs.jpg
    IMGP2165rs.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 569
  • IMGP2159rs.jpg
    IMGP2159rs.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 587
With the spot marked, I drilled the hole through the lower hood support structure.
After the lower hole was drilled, I again used a dab of grease on the tip of the hood pin and used it to mark the location for drilling the hole through the top surface of the hood. :eek:

Attachments

• IMGP2167rs.jpg
    IMGP2167rs.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 570
  • IMGP2166rs.jpg
    IMGP2166rs.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 562
I then marked the locations for the attaching hardware for the pin wear plate.
For the wear plate attaching hardware, I drilled one hole first, then mounted the wear plate with that one attaching screw. I then used the plate as a guide for drilling the rest of the holes. Even though I had the others already marked, using the wear plate as a guide for the rest of the holes proved to be more accurate.

Attachments

• IMGP2172rs.jpg
    IMGP2172rs.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 671
  • IMGP2171rs.jpg
    IMGP2171rs.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 585
This is how I installed the nuts and washers on the attaching screws for the wear plates. I balanced a nut and washer on the tip of my finger and snaked my finger through the lower hole in the bottom of the hood, lined up the washer and nut with the help of a pick from above and then screwed in the bolt as I held the nut and washer in place with the tip of my finger.

Don't forget to apply anti-seize on the threads of any stainless hardware. Trying to install the hardware dry is inviting the threads to seize on you. If that happens, you'll have to drill the head of the screw out to remove the hardware and get new hardware to try it again.

All done.

Attachments

• IMGP2173rs.jpg
    IMGP2173rs.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 578
  • IMGP2174rs.jpg
    IMGP2174rs.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 570
  • IMGP2175rs.jpg
    IMGP2175rs.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 577
Donnie, were the supplied allen screws/bolts long enough to go through both layers of the fiberglass hood? It looks like the placement is right on one of the support members, which makes perfect sense. Nice work as usual!

Donnie, were the supplied allen screws/bolts long enough to go through both layers of the fiberglass hood? It looks like the placement is right on one of the support members, which makes perfect sense. Nice work as usual!
The screws were long enough to go through only one of the layers. The washers and nuts were carefully installed through the pin hole in the support layer. You'll notice the nut and washer balanced on the tip of my finger in one of the photos. That's how I got it through the small pin hole. A true test of one's dexterous skills.

Hi Don, Are you removing the center latch completely? It looks like the cable is still in place in the pics.
P.S. I installed my Hartline hood today and looking at options. Were you able to mount any type of spring to help the hood pop up?

Hi Don, Are you removing the center latch completely? It looks like the cable is still in place in the pics.
P.S. I installed my Hartline hood today and looking at options. Were you able to mount any type of spring to help the hood pop up?
I'm using a fiberglass hood that still uses the stock hinges and latching. I am still using the latch and spring, along with the hood pins.

Just checked out the Hotchkis kit at Jegs. :eek: Wow! sticker shock for sure.
Any pics of your hood spring mounted. Thanks, scott

Yeah, I know. They obvious are aware they've come up with a nice design. I looked at them and wondered how much time I would spend trying to fab my own of a similar design and decided their price was worth it,... for a classy looking setup anyway.

Any pics of your hood spring mounted. Thanks, scott
Here you go, Scott.
Thanks, GNBRETT.

Attachments

• IMGP2176rs.jpg
    IMGP2176rs.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 457
  • IMGP2177rs.jpg
    IMGP2177rs.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 468
  • IMGP2178rs.jpg
    IMGP2178rs.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 469
The best hood latches I have seen are the latches that Billy T, Gary H, and Don C use. I will PM Billy to post pics.