home made cold kit recipes?

84sithlord

so i was thinking about going to hardware store and using 3" pvc pipe to make one out of. anybody done this? any better suggestions? thanks!

There have been several that have done it before. I came up with an interesting piece that fits in the fender that I think I'll be using. It came out of a full size olds and goes through the inner fender to pull air out of the drivers side front fender. I've got to relocate the horns but that's not much of a biggy.;) I should be able to use 3" tubing of some sort to make it work better.:D

that sounds cool. i had one rigged up before. ran it behind the driver side headlight. but material failure made me go back to stock. :mad: lol! so pvc can take the heat under the hood?

Depends on the PVC tubing that you use. Some holds up well under heat and some doesn't. The heavier stuff holds up bit it's heavy in weight. One other cheap alternative it so go to the junk yard and find a newer diesel with the exhaust in tact. Most of them have a 3" or 3.5" exhaust and with a cheap tubing cutter you can get from AZ or one of the other parts places as a loan tool, cut the piping where you cant and you can fab up a cheap stainless set up.;)

There have been some data logs that indicate the temp behind the DS headlight is close to ambient at +50 mph. (Don’t know the exact MPH, but something like that . . . :rolleyes: )

Having said that . . HA's create enough charge heat and don’t need anymore of it even at lower speeds.
Calculated RWHP impact from 130 to 70F is about 25 WHP . . . well worth it.
Intake restriction also has a big impact on the efficiency.

Calculated;
For every 1” Vacuum pressure drop in inlet restriction, the charge temps increases 10F!
For every 1 lb boost, charge temp increases 11F.
For every 10F temp drop of compressor intake temps, WHP increases 3-4 HP . . . . all else being equal.
For every 11 deg decrease in charge temps, WHP increases 4-5

Think about the variables you have the ability to control and the associated compounding effect . . . . .

This is for Charlie . . . :p
“If” you had intake air temps of 130 and sprayed alky . . . and temp dropped to 90, you should expect a 13-15 hp increase. :cool:

This is for Charlie . . . :p
“If” you had intake air temps of 130 and sprayed alky . . . and temp dropped to 90, you should expect a 13-15 hp increase. :cool:
Once you see the little part that goes in the fender I think you'll be looking for one Jerryl.;) When I found it I realized it's just about perfect and no fender well cutting involved.;)

It's cheap tubing if you can cut it at the salvage yard.;) The nice thing is most of them now use stainless and with a little work they'll polish up nicely and last for quite some time. They've even started doing some decent mandrel bends rather than the old crush bends like they use to.:cool:

Once you see the little part that goes in the fender I think you'll be looking for one Jerryl.;) When I found it I realized it's just about perfect and no fender well cutting involved.;)
Well . . . post a pic. :D

Fox Mustangs also used a 3" air intake that fits nicely inside of the fender and points down towards the front of the car behind the bumper. every Fox Mustang had one- and the 84-86 302HO cars with the Holley 4 barrel carb had one in each fender..

Thanks for the tip Derrik.;) Weather was nasty yesterdsy and all I did was try to stay dry and kill spammers off so I'll see if I can get the pics today.:D

Well . . . post a pic. :D
Well you asked for it Jerryl.:D Where the pipe fits is a 4" diameter and as you see I used a water pump so you get an idea of how large it really is.:eek: DSCN0001.JPGDSCN0002.JPG As to where I want to fit it in, here's an idea of what I'm thinking.;) DSCN0003.JPG That's where the horns were but to put it in I'll need to take the fender off, but I already planned to do this so it's not that big a deal.:) what I'm thinking is to build a box that the part (inlet) goes into and house the filter in it, then go from there to the carb.

I have the TR kit and it truly is no muss, no fuss. Worth every penny and then some. Installs seamlessly under the hood, and it looks great too! Dont get me wrong guys, i like to save a buck too but, some times its easier and best to go with the road thats been paved. ;) James

I have the TR kit and it truly is no muss, no fuss. Worth every penny and then some. Installs seamlessly under the hood, and it looks great too! Dont get me wrong guys, i like to save a buck too but, some times its easier and best to go with the road thats been paved. ;) James

No question about that!
It would have been cheaper for me to buy the one from Mark . . . . I just did not know "how to" add the aftermarket MAF to it . . . . and ended up building one.

84sithlord said:
so i was thinking about going to hardware store and using 3" pvc pipe to make one out of. anybody done this? any better suggestions? thanks!

I made mine from aluminum tubing with a k&n cone filter.

Attachments

• image-3211099351.jpg
    image-3211099351.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 94