Hitting Rev Limiter and soft shifts

PigGuy

I went to the track yesterday. I make all my runs in drive. My first run, I hit the rev limiter and had knock with about 16PSI. I let off the throttle when it didn't make the 1-2 shift, then, I got back on it. It shifted 2-3 just fine.
DirectScan showed me first gear climbed to ~5750RPM when it hit the rev limiter, it shifted when I got off the throttle. It made the 2-3 shift around 5500RPM.

I consulted another TR guy and he adjusted my TV cable from where it originally was with 5 notches showing to 4 notches showing. That sorta worried me, because everything I've read about the TV cable says not to play with it, only to adjust it with the "D" thing and the throttle, but I wasn't about to argue, because I don't know crap in comparison to the guys at the track. For my second run, I turned boost back to stock to get rid of the knock. The car climbed to around 5700RPM and seemed to sit there a bit and I let off the throttle for a small fraction of a second thinking it was going to hit the rev limiter again, and it shifted into 2nd. I got back on the throttle again and it made the 2-3 shift around 5200RPM.

The third run, I decided I would go back to adjusting the TV cable the way it's supposed to be adjusted. I pushed in the "D" and moved the thingy to the firewall and put the pedal to the floor, it came out 5 notches, exactly where it was before we messed with it. My third run hit the rev limiter on both the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

On the way home, I had it back at 4 notches showing and the shifts were stacked close together and were very soft. I stopped at a gas station and put the TV cable back to it's original position and continued home. The shifts continued to be stacked close together and mushy weird shifts.

Now I'm confused out of my mind, I know this tranny was recently rebuilt (within the last 5,000-10,000 miles) and before I went to the track it shifted firm in all gears, and acted perfectly fine with an occasional stubborn shift into OD. Once and awhile I had to tap the throttle at 50MPH or so to get it to shift into OD when it normally shifts to OD at 40MPH.

------------------------------

I've looked through previous threads for a couple hours and couldn't find anything that really seemed to be like my problem.
From what I've read in previous posts, I have to assume it's my governor spring or my TV cable... but since I've already adjusted my TV cable back to the original position and my shifts aren't the way they used to be, I don't know what to do.

Though it has only hit the rev limiter once before during a 1-2 shift, that happened at least 5 trips to the track ago and it wasn't anywhere near as severe as last night.

I ran slicks, stock boost

What should I do to get my shifts back to normal?
Should I consider adding weight to the small governor weight to lower my shifts a tad?
What could have caused shift points to be so much higher last night?
Could a spring have fallen off the governor or could my tranny be dying with less than 10k on a rebuild?

It's hard to say but my tranny has way less than 5-10,000 on the rebuild and it is starting to act funny. I had a shift kit installed and a wider 2nd gear band. It used to bark the tires from 1st to 2nd and now it just seems to slide into second. This all happened recently after tuning my new combo. I guess the additional power didn't take long to kill my tranny.

I messed with the TV cable again today and drove it to test it out, and from what I could tell, it was shifting as hard as it used to shift. I'm sure it's still hitting the rev limiter, but it's too hard to tell because there's no way in hell I'd have traction until upper second gear on the street.

try contacting one of the vendors on here about adding weight to the governor to get it to shift earlier at the same TV pressure. Or see what else they have to say.

a sticky tv valve and the resultant modulated tv oil pressure is probably where you need to look.try pulling the cable in and out 20 times with the engine off and the cable disconnected from the throttle body.now road test .has anything changed?post results.

Well, the weather is crappy, I'll try that tomorrow. The problem is, I won't really know if it's hitting the rev limiter unless I'm on slicks because I can't keep the tires planted through first gear.

easy way to tell is disconnect tv cable and pull it wide open with a vise grip.now road test it and take off slow till you have traction and bring it up to 5200 or so and see if it shifts:D

Well, here's what I did. I tried that, I couldn't really tell what it was doing for me, so I put it away for the day.
Today, I pulled it out, and decided to check the tranny fluid level. It used to be a hair above the full mark, but this time, it was about 1/4 of the way from the fill mark to the full mark.
I decided to add a half quart... but I couldn't tell where it was, because of the tranny fluid on the inside of the dipstick tube making a mess of the dipstick.
I ran some errands, maybe 40 miles and it shifted like crap. I got home, and I put the car into park and checked the fluid. It was higher than it should have been. I think the reason for that was because it was cold when I checked it the first time, and hot the second time.
It's been less than 3000 miles since the last time I changed the tranny fluid.

I decided to pull the pan...
pan.JPG

WTF? I think it's time for it's SECOND rebuild, this blows cock!
What could I have done to deserve all this???
I don't get it.

I'm too poor to be able to affoard anything for at least 5 months. Is that as bad as it looks, or even worse?

Kinda what mine looked like when the TC ate itself oh & the pump. Don't mean to be a bearer of bad news but it don't look good.

Jim

Well, I don't see it being that... that sounds more like what would cause it to just die. Mine still worked, but just didn't shift correctly.

When you that much debris in there it causes the valves to stick & all kinds of weird stuff to happen.

Jim

well this doesn't sound too good. I just took my gn to the track for the first time yesterday and it did about the same thing, wouldn't shift untill I hit the rev limitter. I guess i should have the trans shop right down the street from the shop I work at check her out before more damage occurs. Let us know how it ends up

-Dan