High timing.

Jordan_J

So I noticed my timing at idle is 25-26.5 degrees usually, when cruising it goes up to 30's or 40's. However when I floored the car it went up to 30 at one point and most of the time stays around 26.5* while the Gen 2 is set to 19* at WOT and there should be 1* more in the chip. So what would cause the car to run 6ish degrees more timing?

The car's been down and I've only driven it a few days. I also changed the cam a couple months ago. And I put another used balancer on it.

I'm not worried about causing any problems the car is running rich too and I'm trying to figure it out. I haven't seen any knock on the scanmaster and the O2's are never under 830 when at WOT.

BLM occasionally dips down in the 90's but stays in the mid 120s usually.

I have only had one slight backfire but didn't show any knock and there isn't a miss anywhere.

Sorry I'm not the best at troubleshooting this, there is a TR guy in the area but I'd probably have to pay for his services and I may resort to that if I need to. But I moved away from the guy who built the car and another friend who was my tuner for me. He didn't teach me much about the car.

EDIT: I forgot I'm also only running 15psi of boost which is probably why I'm not getting any knock.

HTH do you get timing in the 30's & 40's???
What chip is it your running?

Why wouldnt it be in the high 30's low 40's cruising? If i was working on a car and it had less than 40* at light cruise id suspect a problem.

HTH do you get timing in the 30's & 40's???
What chip is it your running?

From reading on Scantool Readings The timing should be fine while cruising at like 2-3k rpm. I just don't like the fact that I'm seeing 6 more degrees at WOT. Not sure if the idle timing should be the same as WOT timing either.

Do you have teh Gen2 setup for SPk adv?

Is your chip the EXT G?

I thought I had it set to 19* in the Gen 2. I can recheck it to make sure nothing is jacked up. The chip is the Extender Extreme.

From reading on Scantool Readings The timing should be fine while cruising at like 2-3k rpm. I just don't like the fact that I'm seeing 6 more degrees at WOT. Not sure if the idle timing should be the same as WOT timing either.

I thought I had it set to 19* in the Gen 2. I can recheck it to make sure nothing is jacked up. The chip is the Extender Extreme.

What are your V OUt Mode1 and V Out Mode2 settings????

And Vout1 set?
And Vout2 set?

I'm not real sure what you mean by settings however I scrolled to the V Out Mode 1 and 2 and they read.

V Out 1

V Out 2

Those are the Vout 1 & 2 set points. What are the Vout1 & 2 modes set to?

I could be wrong, but I think the generally accepted method is to set

Vout mode 1 to spark control, and Vout mode 2 to user control.

Then set Vout 1 set to 5v or there abouts.
and Vout 2 set point to 2.5 or so.

You don't want both 1 and 2 modes set to spark control.

what is the chip number?

The Gen-2 commands the WOT spark advance, but it is progressive with boost. So you need to be up over 16 psi or so for the spark to hit the setting.

I could be wrong, but I think the generally accepted method is to set

Vout mode 1 to spark control, and Vout mode 2 to user control.

Then set Vout 1 set to 5v or there abouts.
and Vout 2 set point to 2.5 or so.

You don't want both 1 and 2 modes set to spark control.

Is user control the "use setpoint" function?

what is the chip number?

The Gen-2 commands the WOT spark advance, but it is progressive with boost. So you need to be up over 16 psi or so for the spark to hit the setting.

The Part Number written onto the manual says G20X4C1G.

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

These were taken minutes ago. Could the cam sensor cause any of this?

At light load the timing will be high, even 40* plus. A chips "quoted" timing will be the timing at WOT.

part throttle and cruise timing is a lot higher than WOT.

But at WOT, your timing should go to the programmed setting once you boost gets up over 16 or so.

Are you running alky?

Bob

part throttle and cruise timing is a lot higher than WOT.

But at WOT, your timing should go to the programmed setting once you boost gets up over 16 or so.

Are you running alky?

Bob

Nope no Alky at the moment, but those are the same timing numbers I saw when I was went "WOT" including the 30* at one point (a friend told me it was reading 30 I didn't verify it myself but I did see 26* a few times personally. I checked my TPS at WOT and it only read 3.86 volts perhaps that had something to do with the messed up timing at WOT. I readjusted it to be 4.65 at WOT and will recheck the timing.