High Boost-OR-High Timing

Roc87

11 Second V6
Wanted to get some of your opinions on this, since I'm going to be buying the SMC alky kit soon,

Would running higher timing and less boost, say 24* timing and only 21# boost be better than running less timing, say 20* timing and 23-24# of boost? Or the other way? Or do I have the whole thing wrong and depending on the set up, you could do both? Thanks.....

I think from my expriences you should start with lower timming. High timming may cause early knocking that the alchy can't over come sometimes. So for a safety reason's I run a 100 octane chip and 22-23 psi of boost. My 108 chip didn't work all that well with alchy.

I run the MaxEffort 16 position chip and could not get the alky tuned on the 26 degree settings, too much knock down low. I had the alky comming on real early but still the initial shock when you jumped on it would produce lots of retard. I bumped down to the 18 degree setting and am running 21 psi with no knock. 21 is good for me on the street!

It just depends on the fuel delevery and the size of the turbo you are using . The Alky Kit is suppost to lower intake air temp to reduce knock. For every 10degs of cooling affect you gain
1% horse power . More fuel and/or a bigger turbo will allow you to run the same amount of boost with more volume of air in return reducing the intake air temp and allows you to run more timing and boost w/the alky. Steve (SMC) is getting 23 psi of boost with 26/29 degs of timing . If I remember right he is running 009 inj. and a TE51 turbo. I have this kit and I'm very happy with it . I got it set to come on at 14psi , pump set on 10 , I'm running 20/21 psi boost & 18/20 degs of timing with very little if any knock . Lucas Red Stripe 40lbs inj. stock turbo

Thanks guys! I'm going to order direct scan before the SMC kit so I can work out all the bugs in my current set up, found out my stock wastegate puck wasn't sealing against the 51 so that could explain some of the reason I only ran a 13.7! Feels at least a second quicker w/ the THDP, and a sealing puck! I don't think I'll try anything on the chip with more than 20-21 degrees to start with and no more than that for boost. Out here in Albuquerque we can only get 91 Octane at the pumps.

Brian,
I think you might be drowning that motor in alky. I was running a 108 chip, 21lbs of boost, 93 octane, smc kit, stock turbo & intercooler and had the pump set to 8.5 and wasn't getting any knock.

Stick a high timing chip in that car and rip off some serious times.

I have since put a pt 54, 55lbs injectors and RA 100 chip. I am now running 25 lbs of boost in 1st and 2nd and 23 lbs of boost in 3rd with 0 knock.

Steve Y. recommends low timing high boost with the Maxeffort chip and alky. kits. Just my .02.

I'm using 20* timing and 21 psi.

Just put my rebuilt kit (SMC) back in the car and I am getting some knock. Have to tune it out again.

OH NO!!

MR ROC. I THINK YOU SHOULD RUN 26 DEG. TIMING WITH 21 LBS OF BOOST AND THE SQUIRT :eek: BUT HEY YOU NO ME WHAT THE HELL;) SEE YOU SUNDAY:cool: