High BLM & Vacuum testing

gnx139

I've been chasing down high BLM's (148 @ hot idle) for a while. Picked up a Mighty Vac today and now need to know how & where to test for vacuum leaks. I hooked up an air compressor with a boost leak detector to the MAF hose and did not hear any leaks. How will this Mighty Vac help me out?

Pull the vacuum lines off the vacuum block on top of the throttle body. Start pulling a suction on each line. If it doesnt hold.... go down the line at each point in that line until you find the culprit. Also check the plenum gasket and the vacuum block gasket itself. There are alot of places for a vacuum leak to occur on these cars. You need alot of patience but you will find it sooner or later.

After that has been checked the next step is maybe a leak on the intake gasket. Did you rule out fueling issues before you start on the vacuum leak hunt.

My leak causing high BLMs was the A/C control switch behind the unit in the dash. Took a while to find that one.

No I have not ruled out fueling issues. The fuel pump (Walbro) and injectors
(009's) and adj. regulator are all only a few years old. How would I rule out fueling issues?

Saw a post about the stem in the EGR valve being a leak source..
A "few yrs old".. Like maybe a Walbro from the famous "instant failure" time period??

It's an AC Delco PCV. I got the pump from full throttle about 3 years ago, but I believe it was after the time period when there were a lot of bad walbro's. I'll dig out the paper work late and check for sure.

It's an AC Delco PCV. I got the pump from full throttle about 3 years ago, but I believe it was after the time period when there were a lot of bad walbro's. I'll dig out the paper work late and check for sure.

The issue about fueling is that if its too rich or lean that will affect your BLM's up or down. As far as the 3 year old Walbro is concerned...I just changed headgaskets a few months back because my 2 year old Walbro decided to crap out on me at 22 psi. From now on I will be changing mine every year whether it needs it or not. Its only $100 bucks and it will save alot of time and headache.:)

OK, I had some time tonight to dig around with some vacuum lines and found the top hose to be disconnected from the nipple of the vacuum canister. I'm hoping that was a big part of it. When it is not raining I'll take her out for a drive and see what's up. Most of the vacuum lines seem real brittle. I'll replace those ASAP.

No updates yet. I have not had any free time this week to take the car out for a drive. You know how that goes.