hey you military guys

MoosieTR54

first off, thanks for all you guys have done for our country. it means alot to all of us. secondly i had a question about the height weight requirements. are they pretty lenient with those? like how much room to play is there? also what if you can do all the physical requirements but you're not at the desired weight? do you have to cut it before you sign up or do they let you pass? any and all info is appreciated. i was leaning more towards the air force or the navy if it makes a difference.

lol yea thats what i was guessing too.. but do they make you have a certain weight before that also?

For The Nav you have to be under the weight requirments regardless to join. In theory you have to be under them for your entire enlistment, but if you get above them they make you go to manditory PT.

I would look towards the Air Force if I were you.

I know the Air Force will gran weight waivers. A friend of mine was always over the required weight. They measured his body fat at 8% and gave him a waiver.
On a side note, I work with a lady whose 7'0" son got a height waiver and is in the Army.

Hey dude, PM me what your current height and weight is and I will let you know ASAP. Oh yeah and your age also cause that is thrown into the equation.

A little side note: The whole military in general is freakin hurtin for bodies so I'm almost positive given a motivated reqruiter you will have no problem, hell I've heard we're taking past convicted felons now!!:eek: :mad:

By the way, the Army MP Corps is really hurtin right now and I guarantee you a sizeable bonus, from the Army of course, not me!!:D

Have you talked to a reqruiter yet? If not, great!! Ask me first, I will not pump you full of bullcrap. And I am not saying that all of them will but MOST will!:mad: ;)

I am hear for you!:D

As far as the Marine Corps goes, you had to within the standards...end of discussion! You would have to be able to complete the minimum PFT requirements to even sign the papers (at least that is what our Recruiting station's policy was). As far as the weight goes, I went into bootcamp at 139 lbs., soaking wet, and left at 179 lbs. It sucked because none of the uniforms that I was issued in bootcamp fit anymore, had to buy all new ones.:)

Originally posted by MoosieTR54
first off, thanks for all you guys have done for our country. it means alot to all of us. secondly i had a question about the height weight requirements. are they pretty lenient with those? like how much room to play is there? also what if you can do all the physical requirements but you're not at the desired weight? do you have to cut it before you sign up or do they let you pass? any and all info is appreciated. i was leaning more towards the air force or the navy if it makes a difference.

Nope, the Armed Forces aren't about suggested weights, their regulations. For some MOS's they might grant waivers. But, I wouldn't risk losing a MOS quarantee over being overweight.

If you're out of shape, I'd suggest you start getting into shape before going in. It will make Basic so much easier.

IMO, being successful in the Services is often about attitude. Which in part means being responsible enough not to set yourself up for failure, or making things more difficult then they need to be.

Read everything you sign, and if any doubt about what you're signing, ask your recruiter.

I walked into the recruiters office a big soggy sack weighing in at 265. When I shipped to boot camp I weighed in at 198, 13 months later. I left boot camp about 185ish. Now I'm a plump 225.

I don't care though, if my early out gets accepted I'm going home in September.

Originally posted by Shane
For The Nav you have to be under the weight requirments regardless to join. In theory you have to be under them for your entire enlistment, but if you get above them they make you go to manditory PT.

I would look towards the Air Force if I were you.

Actually, the AF weight requirements are more strict than the Navy. At NSA, I supervised Army, Navy, AF, and Marines while I was in the AF.

As far as waivers, it may be up to the command. I know that at my last station, if you failed 3 in a row, it was bye bye for failure to maintain standards.

Originally posted by efi-street
Actually, the AF weight requirements are more strict than the Navy. At NSA, I supervised Army, Navy, AF, and Marines while I was in the AF.

As far as waivers, it may be up to the command. I know that at my last station, if you failed 3 in a row, it was bye bye for failure to maintain standards.

I just meant because the Navy SUCKS.

You'd be surprised at the amount of "slugs" that get pushed through Basic and AIT and are sent to duty stations. I know first hand because some recuiters have to "make mission" and do fake the funk on paperwork.

It really hurts when you have to spend most of your time away from your quality soldiers trying to get these guys and gals into shape or trying to get them kicked out.

My point is, someone is always trying to pass the buck and in this case it sucks.

Sorry if my using the term "slug" offended anyone.....they could and are called worse.

John C.

Originally posted by MoosieTR54
i always thought u LOST weight at boot camp. how did you guys manage to gain it?

Because you put on sizeable chunk of muscle and that weighs more than fat

I left at the exact same weight as when I entered parris island, 168 but I was alot leaner with a much smaller waist size.

As far as fitness goes, you really dont have to worry about it in the airforce unless you plan on going Para-rescue or something like that. Pretty much the same is true for most of the navy with the exception of seals, etc (stuff like eod and those fast boat guys that drive around the seals, im leaving out quite a few)

i always thought u LOST weight at boot camp. how did you guys manage to gain it?

Well, I was VERY lean when I got there, only able to do 3 pullups and run 3 miles in 26 minutes. They are always keeping you busy doing stuff, and PT everyday. You also get well rounded meals, and my skin cleared up while I was there too! By the time I was done, I was doing 13 pullups and could run 3 miles in 20 flat!!! I never even realized how much weight I put on untill I got home.

I know in the Air Farce it is pretty lax, I am 6'1" and my max weight is 211. Even if I were t ogo over it they would have just done a simple body fat analyses and let me go. I was never in "great shape" and never had a problem. You would have to be pretty overweight to have a problem in the AF.