Hey let's restore that old hood ornament!

INEEDAGN

Seen Your Member
Pop quiz: You got a half hour left on your lunch break and you just pulled this ratty lookin turbo hood ornament out of the junkyard yesterday, what do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO!?

1381263045018.jpg

Well you grab a razor blade, hold it perpendicular to the surface, and scratch that acrylic down until the cracks are gone. Go around the edges good and slow and try not to leave too many chatter marks, and watch the chrome, Jerome!

1381263189967.jpg

Then you take some 400 wet paper, wait, dammit you have no 400 paper all you can find is some used 600 wet paper. That'll have to do, you only got a half hour no time to search for paper. Wet sand the hell out of it, now's the time to waste a bit of time making sure all the chatter marks are gone, etc. Make lots of new edges on the paper and turn it often to get the edges of the acrylic nice and smooth. Pause for photo op:

1381263376660.jpg

Now find some 1000 grit, well damn there's none of that either, settle for 1500 and wet sand it twice as long, close enough. Follow that up with 2000 grit and pause for photo op again:

1381263502607.jpg

Now grab the 3" buffer, there's a used/dirty yellow foam pad on it. That'll work! Dab some meguiar's diamond cut and buff the hell out of it, slowly, and use lots of compound cause if you burn it you get to start all over again. When that's done, grab any old chrome polish off the shelf and make the chrome look a little better. You've overrun your lunch break slightly but you kinda hate your job anyway and you just made a crappy hood ornament look a LOT better. Imagine what you could do to it if you cared...

1381263804660.jpg

1381263824601.jpg

Tomorrow I'm gonna do the other side and then I will put it on the car to save my nice one until my kids stop having a fascination with it as they walk by my car in the mornings.

This post is Turbo Farm West approved

YOU CAN ASLO SAND DOWN IN THE SAME MANOR,BUR INSTEAD OF BUFFING,CLEAR THE AREA.. UPOL MAKES A SPRAY CAN CLEAR, I'VE USED IT ON HEADLIGHTS I WAS GOING TO REPLACE,CLEARED THEM..THEY CAME OUT BEAUTIFUL,SAVED ME A FEW HUNDRED....