Help with RJC Head Gaskets, please!

Mastiff

I'm asssembling the turbo engine for my Oldsmobile Starfire (long story...) with the help of my neighbour, who's a race mechanic (OK, he assembles it and I translate instructions...), but se are both really unsure about the RJC Bulletproof head gasket kit. I have read the instructions, and I wonder if I'm missing somehing. It mentions a supplied cardboard plate when putting on the silicone sealant, but I only have the cardboard that the two metal gaskets were in, and there's nothing special about that. What is the "supplied" cardboard used for? It would be great if there was a YouTube video of how to do this, but I haven't found anything. Is there one? And if there isn't, is the correct way to do it to start with the top side of those gaskets (which has the stamped in line "pattern" raised), smear the silicone so thin that it is lower than the pattern and then put it the other way when the pattern presumeably avoids me loosing most of the sealant? Or haven't I understood it correctly?

I'm just guessing, but the cardboard is to lay the gasket on while you roll on the silicone so you don't get foreign debris stuck in there?

Yeah, I just wondered if it was supposed to be a very special type of cardboard, with some patterns stamped in it, or something. :D

I got an answer to a mail from Jason at RJC (nice guy!). So the plate is mostly so you don't get sealant on the work bench. Got a couple of tips from him as well, so I think I'm good. I just wish there was a YouTube video. I've found those for working on a Mercury 9.8 outboard from 1967! But I guess there are more Mercurys then Buick Turbos... :D