Help with my 2000 Alero ABS...

Madcat455

True love
My ABS tried to kill me yesterday... :eek: Decided that I was on ice, when coming up to a busy intersection, and released the pressure (no pumping). I got REAL lucky, and after working the ebrake (not enough to keep me from blowing through 6 lanes of cross traffic), the ABS decided to give me my brakes back just in time to stop.

While sitting there.. acting normal at a stop. The "low trac" light came on and off went my brakes again.. started rolling into the intersection:mad:.

Well.. needless to say that I got into the first parking lot after that, and ripped out the fuses for the ABS.. I took out every fuse having to do with it.

WHAT I need to know, is if there is any harm in just leaving it this way?? I'm in FL, so there's no worry about ice on the roads.. and I've never had the ABS work in the rain.

The car is not worth fixing.. and I just need to milk it along long enough for me to find an affordable replacement, figure around 3-4 months.

It seems fine with the fuses out.. but I want to make sure I'm not creating any safety issues by doing it.

Thanks,

Jeff

I would say your fine, but I dont know you as a driver. ABS is exactly what it says Anti-lock brake system. If you pulled the fuses the only thing you did was take that feature away. You still have normal brakes and they will work fine, but if you get into a panic situation you wont have the ABS option. Sometimes abs is a PITA, I personally like to have the control over the brakes but I guess i'm not smarter than a computer :rolleyes:, I have been known to lock them up sometimes, but the car stopped when I needed it to.