Help with 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee please!!!

Madcat455

True love
A friend of mine has a 99 Grand Cherokee, V8 4x4. She called me yesterday cause her cars been acting strange.

Started this week, first she noticed the spedo and tach acting weird (jittery, then normal), then after that, it wouldn't start when turning the key.. just turn the key and nothing (no lights, radio, engine turn, nothing). She waited 5 min, tried it again and the guages came on, lights worked, radio, etc.. but the engine wouldn't turn over. On that attempt, her spedo and tach also spun around a full 360deg. She waited another 5min, then the car started normal.... but now her speedo and tach are not working at all.. they'll move slightly when the key is first turned to the on position.. but nothing else.

Finally, her heater core leaked onto the pass floor area.

I have the heater core bypassed for now, while I get the parts to fix it. (it's FL anyway, so heat isn't a big issue.. LOL). But I'm stumped as to what's causing the other issues.

Did Chrysler put the ECM on the Pass floor area??

BTW.. no codes.

Any ideas where I should start??

Thanks.

I have seen bad battery connecctions or cables do that on multiple occasions on any make of vehicle. Usually on those cable repair ends that clamp on and corrode. The gauges will spin around every time a connection is reset. It could easily be something else, but the battery cables are an easy first check. Heater core is likely a seperate issue.

My jeep did the same thing with a bad battery connection.... the ecm is under the hood... driver side... regarding the heater core.... HAVE FUN!! :tongue: You have to pull the WHOLE, ENTIRE DASH!! :eek: Not an enjoyable task.... highly recommend getting a proper service manual that details the procedure.... the Haynes manual that I have cautions that heater core replacement is not for the faint of heart...:rolleyes:

My jeep did the same thing with a bad battery connection.... the ecm is under the hood... driver side... regarding the heater core.... HAVE FUN!! :tongue: You have to pull the WHOLE, ENTIRE DASH!! :eek: Not an enjoyable task.... highly recommend getting a proper service manual that details the procedure.... the Haynes manual that I have cautions that heater core replacement is not for the faint of heart...:rolleyes:

LOL.. Thanks everyone. I have her coming over tonight to check the cables/clean the terminals. I hope that fixes the gauge cluster.

Thanks a lot for the heater core info... No wonder shops were quoting her $850+ for the job... LOL. Maybe I should just tell her to hope for a warmer winter this year:tongue::tongue: and use the AC to defog the windows.. :biggrin:

Those heater cores aren't that bad to do once you've done 5 or 6 of them...you learn a few tricks. Remember, the A/C system needs to be evacuated and recharged to do the heater core. The evaporators have a high failure rate on these things too, so you might want to consider replacing it while you've got the box out. I usually recommend it to my customers. Most don't want to pay the six hours of labor twice. :)

Well... Neg. cable was loose, got it tight and worked like a charm. She knows how fast she's going now.. LOL.

Not gonna tackle the core... too much for me to worry about.

I'll let her decide on whether she wants to fix it, or trade the car for a newer one (which she wants to do).

Thanks for the help...

Well... Neg. cable was loose, got it tight and worked like a charm. She knows how fast she's going now.. LOL.

Not gonna tackle the core... too much for me to worry about.

I'll let her decide on whether she wants to fix it, or trade the car for a newer one (which she wants to do).

Thanks for the help...

the jeep that we just got rid of was having lots of problem as well. when you went to turn left the right rear blinker would flash as well:confused:. the coolling system was all new and still over heated :confused:the locks locked and unlocked on there own:confused: i just had it with it and thats why we traded it in for the HHR. So the best that i can cay is fix the thing to use it for a trade and send it on its marry way.