Help Please!

TwinyTwin

I picked up my 86 GN saturday and everything was running fine untill I got about 10 miles from my bosses house. Thats when we noticed smoke coming from the engine bay. Apperently the car was spewing oil all over the engine bay from a hole on top of the water pump, right next to some kind of black sensor. We have not detrermined what the black sensor is yet. If anyone can tell me what is suppose to go in that hole and what that black sensor is, I would greatly appreciate it. Also what should the oil pressure be when I am sitting at idle. Thanks for your time.

Descriptive title?????????????

Sounds like the cam sensor - the black round thing above the water pump.

Sure it is oil? Water/cooalnt is likely to seep from the water pump - not oil, but there are some oil lines in the area: feed to turbo and the return line.

black item?

That's your cam sensor, for sure. Also, at the front of the motor is the turbo drain back hole. The fitting must be tight, or it will leak. What do you think?
Dale

Is the bolt/hold down clamp missing from the cam sensor ?( cam sensor looks like a small disributor )

Some aftermarket replacement timing covers have a small, tapped hole near the cam sensor. A set screw is normally used to block it.

Have seen a case where the hole was open, and throwing oil like you described.:)

Thanks guys for all your responses. We put a bolt in the hole and it hasen't leaked yet. To describe the hole, it is sitting to the right of the cam sensor and it is threaded. What normally goes in that hole and what could have caused whatever that was in it to blow out.

Like I said, your car has an aftermarket cover as this threaded hole is not in a stock front cover. The plug must have just worked loose. Make sure you loctite the bolt/plug so it never does this again.:)

worse yet, it must have made its way into your engine, please go to napa and purchase a MAGNETIC OIL DRAIN PLUG to see what will happen-

i know that your front timing cover came with a allen set screw, and it will work its way loose and drop down into the engine, good thing you used a BOLT, because it has a head so that it will not drop down into the engine again-

let us know what you find out
BW