help please.. no start!

JimG

Hi everyone,
I dropped my car off this morning after a 15 minute drive for a car wash next door. the attendant just called(about one hour later) saying that the car wont start, battery dead!!
I have gone over and had cables put on it, and I can read SM readout showing 12.9-13.0 volts,but all it does is chatter the starter and dash lights when trying to start. I cant see anything too wet under the hood.
any advise?
Many thanks
Jim

I would charge the battery some or jump it with another car and cables and try that first.

It may be a bad solenoid or starter taking too much current or wet or something.

I don't think the scanmaster reads while cranking which is a voltage reading you would need for further diagnosis.

thanks Salvage,
Again, while charging with cables, all the lights worked and when engaging the starter it would only chatter, not start.
when I removed them, everything was black with no electrical power at all.
Jim

Hi everyone,
I dropped my car off this morning after a 15 minute drive for a car wash next door. the attendant just called(about one hour later) saying that the car wont start, battery dead!!
I have gone over and had cables put on it, and I can read SM readout showing 12.9-13.0 volts,but all it does is chatter the starter and dash lights when trying to start. I cant see anything too wet under the hood.
any advise?
Many thanks
Jim

It sounds like your battery may have failed or be so dead it is taking all the power put to it through the cables. You may also have a loose or dirty connection at the battery. Try cleaning the connections first and if that does not work and you have a spare battery try that. I bet one of these fix your problem. Bruce

X2 on the battery connection. I have been fooled before. It looked good and felt secure until I put a wrench on it.

X2 on the battery connection. I have been fooled before. It looked good and felt secure until I put a wrench on it.
thanks for all of the words of wisdom, fellows.
I got it started on a booster, and SM voltage numbers scrolling from 12-14.5 volts continuing.
I was going to take it home, and out of (good) habit, I primed the alky, and of course the motor died. Now dead as a doorknob again. Time for a new alternator :)
Many thanks again everyone.
Jim

hey guys,
thanks for all of your help. Bose,Raf you guys were on the money. negative lug felt tight but the cable was moving. a half a turn on the connection and I was on the road again.
Many thanks again
Jim