Help me "tweak" my stereo system!

D

dconnor

OK I have gotten a BAD itch to re-vamp my stereo system so let's get some suggestions flyin' in, from MILD to WILD! Here is what my TR's system currently consists of & a few of the changes I had in mind:

Pioneer DEH-P430 CD player, VERY clean power & nice features for the money (50 watts x 4 rms, dual RCA preouts, subwoofer controls, built in low & high pass crosover, XMS ready, etc...)

Pioneer 3 1/2"s in the dash (I forget the model #)

Cerwin Vega Stealth Series 5 1/4"s in the doors

Cerwin Vega Stealth Series 6x9"s in the rear deck

Earthquake bandpass box / amp (150 watts mono) / 10" sub combo on the rear trunk shelf

Possible changes:

Custom built sub box on the trunk's rear shelf (Cerwin Vega subwoofer most likely) powered by a HiFonics amp (best budget amp out there IMO) unless someone can convince me to try something else. ;)

Trunk carpet kit for sure & possibly w/ spots built-in to house an amp, & cd changer (I wonder if the hassle of custom fabbing would be worth the headache though, there are a couple of GOOD pre-build kits available, albiet without the spots for stereo goodies)

custom pods/enclosure for the spot under the 1/4 window for a 6 1/2" or 8" driver (ala mcss383's install, anyone have a sketch or blueprint I could borrow?!?!)

Fosgate 3 1/2" midbass in the dash (these actually image well off of the windshield!) & some sort of tweeter seperate on the a-pillar or door panel ORRRRrr maybe a set of kick panel pods (more likely door panel pods, I don't wanna fart around with moving the computer)

Like I said I am wide open to suggestions at this point, just keep in mind I will be keeping this as low budget as possible (but will NOT sacrifice quality for the sake of pure cheepness!) so let's hear them suggestions folks!!!

Doug C.

Going with door pods and rear fill pods are a good idea. I would do a false floor or an amp rack behind woofer cabinet. If you are going with more than 2 amps, you can put 1 in each fender area and a sub amp in an amp rack behind cabinet. If you want to go with custom door pods and rear fill pods, I can do you a combo deal that includes correct dyed vinyl and all materials and labor. E-mail me for details and price. I would go with a complete vinyl and fiberglass molded trunk because materials are cheap and the vinyl looks custom and factory at the same time. I would fan cool the amps for better amp performance plus it looks good behind plexiglass.

The possibilities are endless but do what your budget dictates because when I do a full blown install, I always go way overbudget :D .

I'd skip the rear fill pods under the 1/4 window. I did that around 90' using 2 JBL 6 1/2's in each spot. It sounded good but was kind of overkill. I'd focus on building the best front stage you can. And just use the rear stock locations for rear fill.

I am currently considering revamping my entire system. It will consist of:

custom kick panels (you can 'glass off of the originals to keep the puter in same place)
Focal 165W or Dynaudio 220MKII component set for the kicks
Lanzar DC8D 8" (upper bass) in my rear pods.
Lanzar DC15D 15" for sub.
My amps will consist of all JL Audio.
2-300/2. one for the components and one for the 8"ers
1-500/1 for the 15"er

shopping off of ebay, all new items, will run my bill up to around $1500. I already have the Lanzar subs so that isn't included.

I am running if off of a Premier P1R. I highly recommend this head! And if you want to get cRaZy, go get the new Premier P9, but be ready to fork over $1100 for it. :D

With the right tweaks and good install this setup should yield a good competition car for local shows and such.